The last time I ask a wetsuit diver to zip my drysuit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kronek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
http://i.imgur.com/jxRSFHd.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/neWt50q.jpg
Story -
So I went out for a dive with some friends, they were all wetsuit divers (Crazy people, North Atlantic in March in a wetsuit) but had previously had no problem zipping me up. It was a little slower than with dry divers, but thats ok. So one of them thinks they have a system and pulls it about half way. I tell him its stuck, and he says no its not. He then yanks the zip another 6 inches. 3 hours, and 4 people later, I am out of my drysuit, but there is still a pile of undergarment in the zipper. Which then procedes to split the seam and the teeth resulting in the above picture.
Good news, my LDS can fix it, so it'll only be a week, and the guy who zipped me is going to pay for the replacement zipper.

When I have to rely upon a wetsuit diver for a zip up, I give some quick instructions, which include making sure that nothing is caught in the teeth.

The guy had done it before too. Thought he had a better way. His better way made me miss an awesome charter today :(

Happened to me once with my Semi Dry with a double zipper, my own fault for not asking my regular buddy that week who was busy helping somebody else and this stranger volunteered and ripped the whole damn zipper off closing mechanism off.

I still managed to dive one more dive but was very cold.

Two words - "front zip"

---------- Post added March 31st, 2013 at 09:43 AM ----------

The guy had done it before too...

And you had him do it again because... ?

I was pleased to find I could zip myself into my new Fusion One even though the zipper is in the back. Took some practice, and I found a couple of tricks that help. I know the feel of the zipper don't have to worry about someone jerking on it.

I almost spent several hundred bucks more for a front zip, and tickled to find I didn't need it.

As usual I have learned something important on Scubaboard. If drysuit diver asks me, a lowly wetsuit diver, to help out I will tell them no.

I was pleased to find I could zip myself into my new Fusion One even though the zipper is in the back. Took some practice, and I found a couple of tricks that help. I know the feel of the zipper don't have to worry about someone jerking on it.

I almost spent several hundred bucks more for a front zip, and tickled to find I didn't need it.

Dude, You Tube demonstration PLEASE! I'm soon for a Fusion and am set on a front zip for the reasons above - that is not so much getting in but getting out when I'm solo diving. If you're not double jointed and have a way, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's interested in seeing it. Thanks!

When I have to rely upon a wetsuit diver for a zip up, I give some quick instructions, which include making sure that nothing is caught in the teeth.

You would think that guys would already know to make sure nothing would be caught in a zipper.

Bob
-----------------------------------------------
You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the Duct Tape

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom