The Lexy October '05 Dive Reports Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissyP:
Don't be fergittin' them thar fins again, Terry Lee, ya hear?

You are SOOO LUCKY I am in a good mood. MISSY P

Date: 11-October, 2005
Dive Location: Woods Cove/Moss Street
Time: 6:54 PM
Bottom Time: just 28 minutes
Max Depth: 34 feet
Vis: 8-12 feet
Wave height: Woods Cove entry - 1 to 2 feet, Moss Street exit - 4 to 5 feet
Temp at depth: toasty 63 F
Surface Temp: 67 F
Tide information: High
Gas mix: Air (21%) Air
Comments: Started out a night dive at Woods Cove. From the stairs, the water was so clear we could see a bat ray cruising through the surf zone, as the sun was setting. Geared up and it was night divin' time. The surge was definitely light at about 1 -2 feet over the sand. Unfortunately, I had troubles with vertigo and had to call the dive short. Just felt very disoriented watching swirling sand and Southern Sea Palm sway lazily in the surge. Did manage to find a nice sized octopus, a nice array of red gorgonian and one sleepy california scorpionfish cruising over the sand. We ended up much further south and ended up landing at Moss Street! Opps! Needless to the say, the waves had picked up to a solid 4-5 foot with the surface chop to add to vertigo hell. With the semi-rocky, sandy exit we hussled bootie and did the not-so graceful crawl out. Some dives are great dives and well others.... are just pure work.

Had a great trip with the San Diego Bottom Bunch out to the islands. The boat was meant to be going to San Clemente for a two-day trip, but weather reports had monster swell and howling winds so we bypassed SC during the night and hove to at Two Harbours on the Sunday morning.

This was my first excursion to Santa Catalina, and I was favourably impressed; we dived at Ship Rock and a few other locations down the coast from there and they were all great. Good vis, up to about 50ft with warm water and lots of life. Highlight was finding a ton of green abalone at Arrow Point.

Date: October 09, 2005
Dive Location: Ship Rock Catalina
Time: 8:36
Bottom Time: 58mins
Max Depth: 69 feet
Vis:50ft
Wave height: 1ft swell

Dive Location: Parson's Landing, Catalina
Time: 11:18am
Bottom Time: 43 mins
Max Depth: 82 feet
Vis:30ft

Dive Location: Punta Negra, Catalina
Time: 2:24 pm
Max Depth: 74 feet

Dive Location: Arrow Point, Catalina
Time: 4:47pm
Bottom Time: 50 mins
Max Depth: 45 feet

The weather reports were improved so we travelled to San Clemente for the monday; boy am I pleased we did that. We had flat calm seas, sunny and breezy, with 100ft vis at the arch - outstanding!
After that, the 80ft vis at Inside Boiler was only just acceptable :wink:

Date: October 010, 2005
Dive Location: The Arch, San Clemente
Time: 7:46am
Bottom Time:40 mins
Max Depth: 111 feet
Vis:100+ ft !!!!
Wave height: none

Date: October 10, 2005
Dive Location: Inside Boiler, San Clemente
Time: 9:49 am
Bottom Time: 38 mins
Max Depth: 82 feet
Vis:80ft

Date: October 10, 2005
Dive Location: Inside Boiler, San Clemente
Time: 12:19 pm
Bottom Time: 34 mins
Max Depth: 101 feet
Vis:80ft

Wow, what a trip! The vis was so good I took mostly movies at San Clemente but my pictures are here:

http://www.mcguinness-family.net/albums//diving/CatalinaAndSanClemente/

OctSanClementeheader1024.jpg

Date: October 13, 2005
Dive Location: La Jolla Shores
Time: 6:39 PM
Bottom Time: 1 hr 2 min
Max Depth: 60 ft
Vis: 4-6 ft shallows, 25+ ft canyon
Wave height: 2-5 ft
Temp at depth: 52
Surface Temp: 66
Tide information: High

John (krowsea), Terry (divinman), and I met up in the main parking lot at La Jolla Shores for a Thursday night dive. Geared up as fast as possible so we didn't keep John waiting any longer than necessary (he's fast!) and the three of us hit the beach. Surf was up, but due to Terry's impeccable timing of the sets we all made it through safe and sound. Descended in 31 ft and headed towards the canyon where we found dozens of octopus, pipefish, scorpionfish, sea slugs, arminas, sarcastic fringeheads, and many other types of fish. The canyon was cold with a slight current, but vis was excellent.. unfortunately, I forgot my camera..
We stayed along the rim of the canyon and eventually worked our way towards the shallows- where vis deteoriated quite a bit and the surge picked up. Around 15-18 ft, I was being lifted up with every passing swell overhead- which meant big surf on the exit. :( We were able to duck under the bigger ones and made it out with no gear lost (although I did drop a fin when one of the waves crashed on me- fortunately, it was one of ScubaPro's yellow twins- which float :D so I was able to grab it as we backed out). Nice conditions in the canyon- good diving!
Great to finally meet you John! Terry- dive pics? :D

Hmmm... I've lived on Catalina for 36 years and never heard of this spot... unless it is Black Point on the West End. Wonder why the boat captain would use a Spanish name for that site?

Nice report. Glad you enjoyed diving both islands.

Peter McGuinness:
Dive Location: Punta Negra, Catalina
Time: 2:24 pm
Max Depth: 74 feet

Hey all, been too long since ive posted anything in the dive report thread, but I just thought I would share some of my excitement with all of you.. after 3 and a half months of being dry, I am finally getting to dive the middle east tomorrow!!!

The dive shop owner told me that visibility is moderate right now at 10-20 meters (30-60ft)!!! And the water is a mild 80 degrees....

I will provide a full colorful report as always tomorrow night....

Nice images Peter. One request. I have a laptop. When you post large Banner images I am forced to scroll right and left throught the entire thread until a new page finally appears! :11: I know those of you using larger screens don't have to deal with this but it sure is a pain for us small screen guys.

Rant-off

Really nice report. I am so jealous. I need to get back up there!!!

Terry

Date: 10/14/2005
Dive number: 303
Dive Location: San Diego/ La Jolla Shores
Bottom Time: 62 minutes
Max Depth: 64ft
Avg Depth: 35ft
Vis: 3-5ft shallow, 8-10 at 25ft, 20-25ft deeper than 30ft
Surface Temp: 64F
Temp at depth: 53F
Surface Conditions:2-3ft swells but easily timed and not very strong.

Image gallery: http://gallery.scubapost.net/v/terry/album10/101405/

John and I planned on meeting at the shores early but then he got delayed with work so we ended up meeting later but it was all good. Even the dive fanatic MissyP made an appearance and before long we were geared up and strolling into the 2-3 ft. Swells were not too strong and easily timed and before long we were kicking out toward the orange buoy in front of the lifeguard tower. Masks on and final checks completed we dropped down together and reorganized at the bottom at 30ft. Bubble check done we pointed west and the canyon edge. Visibilility above 30ft was a green swirling storm of goo but below it was a solid 25ft. My partners sporting the big HIDs illuminated the edge of the canyon at 60ft and we followed this contour all the way to Vallecetos Point. TONS of life out tonight, slugs and nudis and more octopus and than you could count on 8 tentacles. Big two spots and itty bitty reds. Also out in-mass were scorpionfish. We found them smaller than my thumb to big ugly cusses. Crabs, shrimp, pipefish, halibut and white fish peered out from their holes as we passed by. A baby thornback that fit in the palm of my hand rounded out the evening.

The swim in was surgy and vis was low. At 15 ft we could already feel the way compression as the swell passed over us so we surfaced early to avoid standing up in the breaking surf and again timed it perfect and strolled out with only one fin lost and recovered. Good thing those yellow fins float!!

Great dive and it was a beautiful night. Stars were out, the air was warm, waves roared onto the beach......nirvana.

Terry S.

LaJollaShores_101405_5.jpg

LaJollaShores_101405_12.jpg

LaJollaShores_101405_23.jpg

LaJollaShores_101405_28.jpg

Beautiful words, beautiful images... crankin' critter descriptions :D .

"Itty-bitty reds" they-shall-be in my logs from now on...thanks, Terry!

It's good to get Nirvana'd!
Claudette

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom