The Lexy October '05 Dive Reports Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetrat:
Date: 10/1/05
Even though garibaldi are so common in California I do believe they are my favorite fish. They are always staring into my mask as if to say, "IF YOU INSIST ON BEING HERE, FEED ME YOU MORON." They are like little orange New Yorkers with gills.
03.gif
This is wonderful, wetrat! Thank you!!!

date: oct 5th, 2PM
max depth: 30ft
bottom time: 75 min
vis: 12-22 feet

As I walked into the water , a large leopard shark in 2ft of crystal clear water passed by me. Swimming out to depth, underwater, I saw large schools of white perch. Hundreds of senorita surrounded me, wondering if I needed a cleaning. At 20ft, dozens of halfmoon greeted me, mixing it up with some opaleye. 22ft brought blacksmith, kelp bass, large schools of rubberlip perch, and many kelp rockfish. A large harbor seal swam behind a small pinnacle, looking for food.

During the swim in I was again surrounded by schools of senorita. A thornback ray in clear water was a nice sight, as was a large red rock crab buried in the sand, who didn't really enjoy being unburied, but he thanked me for not eating him.

complete photo set:
http://www.gallery.scubapost.net/v/scottfiji/Malibu20051005/

Scott

Baby starfish living on a sponge
star1.jpg

schooling senorita
Malibu20051005+008.jpg

bat star
Malibu20051005+022.jpg

yellow gorgonian
Malibu20051005+026.jpg

rubberlip sea perch
Malibu20051005+088.jpg

wetrat:
Thanks Claudette, but you are truly the queen of dive reports. You make diving sound like a religious experience!!
angel.gif

John
...you mean it's not????
11.gif
&
06.gif

Just joking!! (...sort of
03.gif
....) Thanks, John, for your kind compliment. It's so much fun that each of us gets to take everyone else along, in words and (sometimes) pictures. ScubaBoarders ROCK!!!

Dive Time: 7:29pm
Max Depth: 126 fsw
Bottom Time: 30:40
Temp at Depth: 52 degrees
Temp on Surface: 61
Vis: 10- 15 at depth, as low as 1 foot in shallows

Met up with the Seadeucers at Downwind. We packed the cars and headed down the windy road to the canyon. We all suited up and headed down the switchback and down the beach to the crack near the mushroom house. The waves were 3 feet or so when we entered and we kicked out to the bouy over a layer of thick red tide. We dropped into the canyon with some seriously bad vis on top but it opened up below 80 feet or so. Immediatly some baifish were attracted to our lights and started buzzing around us, some hiting us multiple times. We swam along the walls admiring all to see at Scripps. I saw 5 different types of nudis, a few Vermillion and Gopher rockfish, Blacksmith, and more things I can't recall (don't you love Nitrogen?). Garnet pointed out a Swell Shark sitting on a ledge which was very cool. We were out of bottom time so we made out way back to the shore. The vis was down to 1 foot at this point. I headed into 10 feet and surfaced watching the large waves breaking on the beach. I exited pretty easily between sets but Max was hit by a double wave and lost his Jetfin. The fin is marked with MAX on it so if you find it please let us know. Outside of that we had a nice dive!

Here are my pictures:

http://gallery.scubapost.net/v/seand/2005scubaphotos/scripps10052005/

scrippscanyon100520050005.jpg

scrippscanyon100520050016.jpg

scrippscanyon100520050026.jpg

scrippscanyon100520050030.jpg

I sure missed you guys! Here's my dive report from La Paz. I hope it's okay to post it here??

Date: 1-Oct.
Dive Location: La Paz, MX
Time: 7:00 AM
Bottom Time: 0
Wave height: Hurricane Otis = muy grande waves!
Comments: Lost day #1 of diving due to Hurricane Otis, a category 1. Lots of wind, big waves and the port was closed. Our dive boat couldn't get out. So we went snorkling in the afternoon near Las Conchas hotel. A small group of us made our way across the warm sandy beach, when a nasty bee decided to land on my arm and proceed to sting me! Big jerk. Anyhow, that wasn't gonna stop me from snorkling - the salt water actually helped the sting. Unfortunately, there were very tiny stinging hydroids of some sort. Felt like an acidic burning sensation although not super intense. Loads of fish! My goodness the colors!

Date: 2-Oct, 2005, Dive #1
Dive Location: Suwanne Reef
Time: 9:52 AM
Bottom Time: 53 minutes
Max Depth: 31 feet
Vis: 35 feet
Wave height: (Swell height) - just huge, 8 foot where we would lose site of the boat when in the bottom of the swell.
Temp at depth: 81
Surface Temp: 85
Tide information: no idea
Gas mix: Air (21%)
Comments: So, luckily today they open the port at 7:30 AM and a group of joyous divers get underway. We anchor about an hour later and the boat is just rocking. Serious rockin'. Like hang onto everything! The site had a small reef structure, surrounded by sandy bottom. No noticable current or surge when at depth. But unfortunately, those nasty "stinging things". Ouch and ouch - I got stung on the upper lip and was feeling it until the next day! :( Lots activity - felt like being in an aquarium. I think half the fun was just watching the fish interact with eachother (territorial battles, egg snatching fish get their lunch, schooling fish nibbling at the sandy bottom, etc.) My buddy and I surface to big swells. She get's seriously sea sick and we are a ways from the boat. We start kicking and the wind has other plans for us. Kicking harder yields us no closer to the boat. She and I inflate our sausages and get a pick up from the boat. Interesting to say the least.....

Date: 2-Oct, 2005
Dive Location: San Rafaelito, Dive #2
Time: 12:35 PM
Bottom Time: 51 minutes
Max Depth: 41 feet
Vis: 12 - 15 feet (felt like a Laguna dive)
Wave height: (Swell) was running 3-4
Temp at depth: 82
Surface Temp: 89
Comments: A few less stinging things this dive. The viz was similar to Laguna and the rocky slope structure reminded me of Italian Gardens. Loads of green moray eels, teenie-tiny fry, more beautiful fish and crevices to peek into.

Date: 3-Oct, 2005
Dive Location: Los Islotes (Sea Lion Rookery), Dive #3
Time: 10:37 AM
Bottom Time: 57 minutes
Max Depth: 108 feet
Vis: 80-100
Wave height: 1-2
Temp at depth: 79
Comments: A beautiful day of diving and no stingy things! We decided to make our first dive a deep dive. After hitting about 108 feet, we made our way back up the sandy/rocky slope. The entertainment arrived - 3 young female sea lions who decided our fins and snorkles were bitable. It was a riot getting my fins nibbled on. Everytime I'd try and swim away, she'd grab my calf between her flippers. Such beautiful creatures!

Dive Location: Los Islotes (Sea Lion Rookery), Dive #4
Time: 1:57PM
Bottom Time: 59 minutes
Max Depth: 64 feet
Vis: 80-100
Temp at depth: 81
Comments: We decided to venture through the bridge between the two small island structures. The walls were absolutely teaming with life - corals, sponges, fish, eels, tiny shrimp, etc. The current was ripping pretty good through the bridge. After finining pretty hard, we were treated with drift diving around the island (toward our boat). This was my first experience with drift diving... what a blast! Almost as fun as shooting through the Crevice at shaw's but warmer. Again, the sea lion entertainment commitee was in full force.

Dive Location: Fang Meng (Natural Reef - shipwreck) Dive #5
Time: 3:48 PM
Bottom Time: 48 minutes
Max Depth: 66 feet
Vis: 40-50
Temp at depth: 83
Surface Temp: 91
Comments: The Fang Meng sits upright on a sandy bottom, which we absolutely had a blast exporing. My buddy and I cruised through the wheel house and down along the second deck. The Fang Meng has been fully diver preped, with lots of cut outs, sharp objects removed, etc. and sunlight streaming through the hull. This was my first experience with wreck penetration - what a treat! We even found the very rare juvie Cortez Angelfish hanging out at the bow.

Date: 4-Oct, 2005
Dive Location: La Reyna Dive #6 & #7
Time: 11:02 AM, 1:19 PM
Bottom Time: 61minutes, 58 minutes
Max Depth: 44 feet, 33 feet
Vis: 60-80
Wave height: 1
Temp at depth: 82
Surface Temp: 91
Comments: Our last dives were at La Reyna - an absolutely amazing dive site. The area consists of sandy bottom sloping up to a rocky walled island, where a small lighthouse sits. A few sea lions hit the water with us but weren't interested in our fins this time. The highlight of these dives were the schooling fish - herring, skipjacks... So many fish that the water would get dark as they swirled around. I can't begin to describe the sheer number of fish in the school. My dive buddies and I were surprised at finding several eel skeletons. One of my buddies had reported seeing a bunch of fish picking on an eel. All in all, a great dive site and a nice way to end a vacation.

Thanks for sharing that Lexy!

It makes me want to go check it out when the all of the stinging wildlife goes away. :D

Christian

Bottom time: 71 minutes
Vis: 8-15ft
waves: small to medium
temp: high 50's

Within 24 hours the red tide completely left Malibu, how quick! The water all the way from one side of malibu to the other was completely blue. it looked beautiful!

I decided to try the same spot two days in a row. vis was down a little today, and not as many schools were out, but it was a great dive. After I entered the water, I spooked a bat ray in the sand.

I saw at least 4 different species of rockfish today, tons of friendly fish who followed me around the whole dive, and a large crevice stuffed with swell sharks! Tons of invertebrates were screaming "film me!", including an attractive horn-neck clam.

complete photo set:
http://gallery.scubapost.net/v/scottfiji/Malibu20051005/?g2_page=2

red gorgonian polyps
Malibu20051006+009.jpg

corynactis
Malibu20051006+039.jpg

blood star, ochre star, and corynactis
Malibu20051006+047.jpg

rose anemone
Malibu20051006+068.jpg

chestut cowrie and brittle star
Malibu20051006+076.jpg

Scott

Date: 6-Oct, 2005
Dive Location: Dana Point reef
Time: 9:30pm and 11:00pm
Bottom Time: 34 and 45
Max Depth: 30 feet
Vis: 15-20!!!
Wave height: 2 at 2 seconds, bumpy but no wind.
Temp at depth: 62
Surface Temp: 67
Tide information: Low, rising

We dove Dana Point last night and the red tide is gone! The vis was as good as it was last year with at least 15'.
On the first dive I was able to grab an easy limit of bugs, and they are the largest I have seen in this area. I also grabbed a nice 7 pounder that barely fit in my bag. My other two buddies were only able to grab 1 or 2 bugs, hehe, suckers.

Dive number two, I was the spotter and was able to point out limits to my other buddies so they wouldn't feel so bad. I also found a brand new aluminum anchor, and 4 stuck stainless steel hoop nets!! I tied them all together and sent up a float with a beacon so we could retreive the items later. Chaaaching on this dive!!

On the way back to the harbor we were pulled over by the Coast Guard. This was at midnight, no other boats out, and this little inflatable with 5 dudes armed to the teeth zoom right up on us, with lights out, and instant spot lights on us. They check ID's, and search my boat, and "inspect" our lobsters. Wierd.

Boat washed, bugs cleaned, and in bed by 1:45, and it's 8am now and I'm at work, lol. Lobster for lunch because TGIF.

Cya, Kyle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom