The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Favorite Actor in Life Aquatic?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, just saw the poll... Bill Murray and Owen Wilson?? I think if I watch this one I'll be ROTFLMBO fo sho... :D

Love this movie. I've had the same reaction as Stoo when showing it to other divers though—either they die laughing or they leave part way through confused.

It’s my all-time favorite film. I remember seeing it in theaters in 2005and not quite getting it. It’s only gotten better with age.

If you haven't seen it yet, why not?
I don't think I've heard of it. I'll have to go see if it's on youtube or netflix or anything like that. If it's got Bill Murray, I'll probably like it.

I don't think I've heard of it. I'll have to go see if it's on youtube or netflix or anything like that. If it's got Bill Murray, I'll probably like it.

It should be on Netflix and fair warning it's an odd little movie. It's a loving parody/homage of the Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau mixed with Wes Anderson's usual quirkiness as a filmmaker. All of the animals are made up and stop-motion animated for instance. It's a weird film but it's got a lot of heart and an absolutely incredible soundtrack.

I saw it - thought it was pretty stupid with just a lot of coarse language. Must not have gotten the point. Course I was straight when I saw it.

I really disliked this movie and fail to see the appeal. I find most of Bill Murray's performances to be juvenile. I actually worked on several Cousteau documentaries including one filmed off Alcyone. I guess I have no sense of humor.

I've seen a few of those on YouTube. Good shows. Thanks. Always something to learn.

And Mike learned it from Bobby Meistrell (and probably my friend Zale Parry)

It is quite a quirky film, as are Wes Anderson's other films, i.e.The Royal Tenenbaums, The Grand Budapest Hotel or Bottle Rocket.

Last edited:
I watched years ago and it fell totally flat. I ‘ve watched a couple of Cousteau films recently on YouTube. I decided to give Life Aquatic another shot and it just blew me away. Completely different from what I watched in 05. Defoe was fantastic and only Murray could anchor this film, anyone else would have ruined it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom