The Magnet, South Lombok... anyone dived there before?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gymrat76

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all

Have heard of this particular dive spot which is supposedly famed for its hammerhead sightings. Appears to be a pretty challenging dive site, with a good chance of spotting large schools of hammerheads. Have not been able to find pics of videos online to substantiate this, but am pretty keen to dive this later this year if its true.

Would love to hear from anyone who has dived The Magnet before, and your opinions on the hammerhead sightings. Cheers!

Hi Gymrat76,

I have dived the Magnet a couple of years ago and, yes, I saw Hammerhead Sharks.

According to a friend of mine who was one of the only instructors who guided there Hammerheads are frequent visitors at the Magnet.

BUT: I had the scariest dive of my life on this dive site, too! Currents are very very strong and you have to make a negative entry which means jumping from the boat and descending immediatly down to at least 20m. If you don't succeed and can't reach the rock you have to ascend, else you get washed away! In my case some of my group didn't make it and we had to ascend. Due to the strong current I was close to ditching my weight-belt as the air-bubbles went downstream!

As to my knowledge diving on the Magnet is now stopped due to it's remote location and, worse, the still ongoing dynamite fishing by the locals! So it's not only the current but as well the locals making this dive a dangerous one.

Maybe you can ask Dream Divers on Lombok (http://www.dreamdivers-lombok.com) if they still run the Magnet or not.

Take care if you manage to dive there!

Andy

Hi Gymrat76,

I have dived the Magnet a couple of years ago and, yes, I saw Hammerhead Sharks.

Hey Andy, how many hammerheads did you see? Some guy was promoting this site at ADEX last week ... citing schooling hammerheads of 150+ (70% chances) and offering a 3 days trip for S$1200. I'm skeptical!!!

Jovin-

Hi Jovin,

I can't tell you anymore as it's too long ago. But there have been some. As I wrote, my friend has seen really large schools some-, maybe even many- times.
As you know: Nobody can give a guarantee that you will see fish X in amount Y on a certain dive.

Please note that diving the Magnet is not easy and therefore you might not be able to dive it whilst there! As I wrote: Air-bubbles went down, not up, when I did a dive (10 minutes under water, 100 bar used!). On other dives we had still strong currents but I was more lucky with reaching the rock.

Regarding the price: Where do they start from for this money and what's included? In any case I would recommend to ask at a local dive operator on Lombok first about their prices! S$1200 seems a little bit expansive to me.

Yes, dynamite fishing is still going on in Indonesia o((

HTH,

Andy

Last edited:
Hi Jovin, thanks for the info. I am planning to visit Lombok again next month to check that hammerhead site.

My colleague who went there last year totally agree with your explanation Andy: Very challenging current & recommended for experienced divers only.

Some Liveaboards even thinking to include this on their new routes.

Thanks guys!

Tapas_bali, do post your report, pictures etc if you manage to dive the Magnet! Am looking forward to it!

Dream Divers are not offering diving in South Lombok / the Magnet anymore.

There is for now only one dive shop, Dive Zone, offering diving in two areas in South (-West) Lombok, Sekotong and Belongas Bay. (Belongas Bay is where the Magnet is)

I dived in South Lombok in 2008 and in 2009, and also worked there as a dive guide for 2 months last year. As I worked in Sekotong, I did less diving in Belongas than I would have liked and due to weather and other conditions I dove the Magnet only once, we saw no hammerheads.. I am still in contact with the dive guide who was then (and still is) guiding the dives in Belongas Bay, they do see hammerheads, but not on every dive..
I do agree that the Magnet can present very challenging diving conditions..

Oh yeah, forgot one thing - maybe post also in the Indonesian sub-branch, there are some divers around who dove in South Lombok / the Magnet..

Hey guys, thanks so much for the info.

Actually, I did not personally speak to the dive ops promoting the dive at ADEX so I'm not too sure what are included ... info about S$1.2K for 3 days was given by a friend who spoke with him.

@ Tapas bali: do keep us posted on your dive next month .. Good luck with the hammerheads .. be safe.

Happy bubbles,
Jovin-

Back
Top Bottom