The Mexican Pride

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SM Diver

Reaction score
I dove the Mexican Pride today, a 400ft wreck in 130 fsw off of Pinellas County. I was spearfishing, and am normally focused on getting fish, but I have to say that this dive made me wish I was holding a video camera. Unbelievable. First, the water was a cobalt blue, and vis was top to bottom. It was like diving in blue grotto.

Dropped down and one of the biggest schools of barracuda I have ever seen hung with me down to about 80ft, and then the amberjacks I was looking for. Down by the bow, a heard of maybe 30 jewfish. I think fishpetters dive this wreck and feed the jewfish because they are fearless. American Reds had moved in on the wreck, and of course some gags and mangos that are now savvy and run for cover upon first site of a diver. Very interesting dive, with a lot of life. I may go back next week and video tape that wreck, and if I do I'll post a link to the video.

Incidentally, I did six dives today including another wreck called The Cog. The Cog is in 90ft, and was holding some snapper. The vis deteriorated throughout the day and went from top to bottom to 20ft late.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a great day of diving. Those are some dives that I would be interested in. Can you give a few details about who to dive with? Were you on a charter boat of private boat?

About 90% of the diving I do is off of my vessel, the Gag Reflex ( http://www.spearboardopen.com/sideshot.jpg )

Yesterday I was on a friends boat, which with its twin outboards is quite a bit faster than the Gag.

I am thinking the Mexican Pride would be a good 65 miles from where my boat is docked, which at 19 kts would make for a longer ride. I am going to check the distance, and I may go out there in my boat if it's no further than that. It would make for a good day to hit the Mexican Pride at first light, and then work way back to port diving various other ledges and wrecks. If experienced spearfishermen don't bother you, I'll keep you in mind for that trip. Otherwise, I'll see what I can find out as far as headboats that you could use. Either way, it is a very interesting dive.

And I would plan for a weekday... The Pride is a very popular spot for fishermen, so the less lines in the water the better.

I am going to be diving the Pride next weekend for the first time (spearfishing) but I may have to tag my buddy along who is an underwater photographer if it is as beautiful as you say it is!! I am also looking forward to diving the middlegrounds, heard there is a lot of big fish out there!!

How big were the reds? And did you see any cobia?

Platypus: I hope you got get the vis we had. I hit the water and looked down and saw the wreck from the surface. The Reds were in the 5 - 10 class, and because they are not resident fish tend to be a less skitish.

Keep a buddy close by, not just because it's fairly deep at 130fsw, but the jewfish on this wreck are AGGRESSIVE. If you ordinarily clip your stringer to your BC, don't do it on this dive. Carry it. You could wind up with a heard of jewfish coming at you like a pack of elephants. My buddy had to powerhed one yesterday beause he came charging in at him. If you plan on shooting an AJ (if they're still there), it'll be up in the water column. If you don't stone him, he will head for the bottom, and you'd better have an extra pair of eyes at that point because a jewfish will inhale your jack. Fortunately, I stoned mine yesterday up in the water column...he never even twitched.

The Middle Grounds I go to a couple of times a months. Nothing like it. Didn't see a single cobia yesterday, but saw two last week on wrecks further north.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom