the million different lights available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oversea

Reaction score
There seems to be half a million lights out there. I live on long island new york where the waters are not that clear, what type of light do i look for?

Lights are application specific. For about $150 you can get a UK Light Cannon 100 which is nice and bright. It is a good start. If you plan on doing some serious wreck diving you might be looking at a canister light. These cost a lot more.

I always carry an underwater kinetics SL4 on every dive. I plan to do night diving, and I've been told it is an excellent back-up light as well (got it for $29 w/S&H off of eBay). Slightly higher priced at LP and other places. $50-$60 at an LDS.

I always carry an underwater kinetics SL4 on every dive. I plan to do night diving, and I've been told it is an excellent back-up light as well (got it for $29 off of eBay). Slight higher priced at LP and other places. $50-$60 at an LDS.

I dive in MARyland were the water isn't that clear as well. I use a AQUA LITE 75 Halogen from PATCO. It's a lead acid battery pack that mounts to my tank. I can take 5lbs. off my weight belt. It lasts for 1hr. 30mins. and it's not heavy on my wrist like hand helds. THE 75 IS LIKE TAKING THE SUN UNDER THE WATER! IT's awesome!!!:)

If you really want the best, check out a can light. Dive-Rite and Halcyon make nice ones. Very pricey, very bright, very nice.

Before you buy, figure out how you will mount it. I use a hip mount on my waist strap, but that may not work with some BC's.

If you want to back off on the price a bit, you can't go wrong with a UK light cannon.

I got tired of carring all those heavy hand held lights but didn't want to drop $400 on a name brand canister light, so I built my own for about $100 and it's almost identical to the Dive Rite canisters as far as the parts go. It's not that hard to do if you have a few power tools and are good at building things. I've had it to 130 feet and worked great. It's a 12 volt, 50 watt halogen, HID would be nice but again it's very expensive and the parts are to big to fit into a Mag-Lite.

Check out the pictures and if you want some info on it just PM me and I'll help you out.

Canister Light Pictures

Scott

I'm impressed.

Another option is used can lights. I bought my Dive-Rite 10W HID for about the same price as the DIY.

I was lucky in that I bought it from one of my best friends. He had just had the light completely refurbished at the factory before deciding to buy a Helios 18W HID.

I had a UK SL4 which I've had to send back to the shop as anytime I took it diving it would gradually fade as I descended until there was no light at all.

Back
Top Bottom