The money topic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gdog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So, after visiting other locations over the years I finally got my wife to check out Roatan. Suffice to say, we are returning for the second of many longer stays. We will be staying at West End for the month of March, then a couple weeks on Utila. Ive read about the ATMs being a bit sketch...and that the one at the gas station in West End is the safer option, and that it disperses lempira, which makes sense. First question, what is the daily limit amount on withdrawals?
Secondly, for a decently longer visit, as cash is king, do folks actually bring down 4, 5, 6, thousand in cash or what is the best way to handle the cash issue once there? I really don't feel good about transporting huge amount of cash while staying in a resort, but am concerned about having to pull from an ATM. Id love to avoid the fees for using a credit card if and where ever possible.
Advice? How do you all handle this?
Thank you in advance!

Get a Charles Schwab account. You don't need a brokerage account. I transfer $3 to $4 k from my bank to the card a week before we leave and use like a debit card wherever we go. There are no foreign transaction fees and they refund any bank fees. Works great

If you are still looking for accommodation on Utila, I highly recommend Treasure Beach. I have a home there and its a lovely. There are 3 rental homes there. Miles of empty beach (only about 30 homes spread along 3 miles of beach), the reef is only 20' from shore and it runs parallel to the beach for almost 4 miles. The rental houses are lovely, plenty of peace and privacy and the local dive op is not a cattle car op and with a max of 8 divers on the boat they offers very personal service.
95% of visitors to Utila stay in town, the least picturesque part of the island, tons of bars but only 2 small beaches. Head to the south shore (Treasure Beach, Joe's Point, the Cays) if you want to see the most beautiful parts of Utila. check it out here :-
www.facebook.com/utilabeach

ten dollars air ten dollars petrol divided by, equals fifty marvellous all inclusive shore dives per grand ahhhh
plus the five dollars for optional pizza
divided by 50 years is too much pizza

I would use a credit card before I'd use a debit card. But some places don't take either. They want cash. So does anyone know of safe banks/ATM's/cambios?

So, after visiting other locations over the years I finally got my wife to check out Roatan. Suffice to say, we are returning for the second of many longer stays. We will be staying at West End for the month of March, then a couple weeks on Utila. Ive read about the ATMs being a bit sketch...and that the one at the gas station in West End is the safer option, and that it disperses lempira, which makes sense. First question, what is the daily limit amount on withdrawals?
Secondly, for a decently longer visit, as cash is king, do folks actually bring down 4, 5, 6, thousand in cash or what is the best way to handle the cash issue once there? I really don't feel good about transporting huge amount of cash while staying in a resort, but am concerned about having to pull from an ATM. Id love to avoid the fees for using a credit card if and where ever possible.
Advice? How do you all handle this?
Thank you in advance!

I haven't been for awhile but I used to pay for diving and hotel with a credit card but that got weird, so I started to bring cash (usd). I didn't stash it all in one place. Exchanging to lempira is easy. :) you pay for something with usd and get change in lempira. I found d the exchange rate not to be too onerous. Paid usd for hotel and diving.

I often stayed 2-3 weeks but as I said that was a while ago. I don't remember ever taking as much cash proportionally, as you plan to take.

Yes, the gas station is best for ATM. I even had my card returned to me when I foolishly left it in the machine. Not sure that a person could count on that always being the case.

Where are you staying?

I love West End though my favourite dive shop has new owners.

Check regulations before traveling with alot of cash. Limit might be 10K, before you have to tell them - but I do not remember.

If you are still looking for accommodation on Utila, I highly recommend Treasure Beach. I have a home there and its a lovely. There are 3 rental homes there. Miles of empty beach (only about 30 homes spread along 3 miles of beach), the reef is only 20' from shore and it runs parallel to the beach for almost 4 miles. The rental houses are lovely, plenty of peace and privacy and the local dive op is not a cattle car op and with a max of 8 divers on the boat they offers very personal service.
95% of visitors to Utila stay in town, the least picturesque part of the island, tons of bars but only 2 small beaches. Head to the south shore (Treasure Beach, Joe's Point, the Cays) if you want to see the most beautiful parts of Utila. check it out here :-
www.facebook.com/utilabeach
Yes, we are staying east of town, on the east shore. But we will be checking out the areas you mentioned! Thank you!

I haven't been for awhile but I used to pay for diving and hotel with a credit card but that got weird, so I started to bring cash (usd). I didn't stash it all in one place. Exchanging to lempira is easy. :) you pay for something with usd and get change in lempira. I found d the exchange rate not to be too onerous. Paid usd for hotel and diving.

I often stayed 2-3 weeks but as I said that was a while ago. I don't remember ever taking as much cash proportionally, as you plan to take.

Yes, the gas station is best for ATM. I even had my card returned to me when I foolishly left it in the machine. Not sure that a person could count on that always being the case.

Where are you staying?

I love West End though my favourite dive shop has new owners.
We are staying at Posado Arco Iris this trip, while in Roatan. Diving with Roatan Divers, whom I think you are referring to as well. Iris has the in room safes, but I have always had a feeling of distrust. I guess they beat hiding it in the sand or under the bed!

We are staying at Posado Arco Iris this trip, while in Roatan. Diving with Roatan Divers, whom I think you are referring to as well. Iris has the in room safes, but I have always had a feeling of distrust. I guess they beat hiding it in the sand or under the bed!

Nice choice and happily near Sundowners.

My preferred dive op is West End Divers. I wish that I knew who the new owners are.

Here's a place to go for a special dinner at your End of town:

Lily Pond House

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom