The money topic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Jaan for sure I understand how your experience marks perceptions. AKR is real close to CCVs high level of subtle isolation from negative social issues.

In terms of tipping, i figure my daily take-home pay is the equal of the regular monthly paycheck of locals who so graciously assist me.

I would only piss it away on shiny objects at my LDS, anyway.

In my travels, this was a first for me. I suppose it's an odd game really. Sooner or later.... I learned long ago the ATM's were entirely compromised. Really, in starting this topic, my goal was to gather ideas from other travelers. Trustworthy places like CCV are awesome. Wander outside of those and it gets a bit more dicey. I figured you would jump in at some point Doc!

I've been to Roatan quite a few times (5? 8?) but not since before covid; don't know how things might have changed. Always stayed in West End. I've always taken cash for the entire stay, and so far never had any problems. Usually 3 or 4 week stays and I try to dive my brains out so accom + diving take most of the money. I've stayed multiple different places, and dived with a few different shops. What I do is unload most of cash on arrival to the dive shop and the hotel with the understanding that if I leave earlier / dive less then they return the balance, within reason. What's at risk is the relatively modest amount left over for beer.

That being said, I've never had an incident on Roatan or Utila anyway. My cameras, regs, laptop usually in view in my room, but I suppose that would be a much more obvious theft than skimming cash. I did once start to feel a little iffy (in Mexico) and resorted to carrying my passport cash and cards in a plastic waterproof pouch that hangs around my neck under my wetsuit. I don't notice it at all. I just put the passport in its own ziplock bag first for a little extra protection.

My last 2 or 3 trips I dived with West End Divers and they (previous owners) were always accomodating. Of course plunking down cash to cover 50 dives and diving 42 is one thing but only a jerk would do it after say 7 dives. For accom, I expect to still be subject to their cancellation policy. By the way, Karolina at Posada Arco Iris is an absolute Jewel ...

About surveilance:
I'd throw it in the safe for when I'm traveling with a bit of cash.
And not expect the camera to "malfunction"? I used to shop for rooms with a safe, but lately I figure lack of security is better than the illusion of security.

And not expect the camera to "malfunction"? I used to shop for rooms with a safe, but lately I figure lack of security is better than the illusion of security.

I figure the safe makes an excellent decoy.

I've been to Roatan quite a few times (5? 8?) but not since before covid; don't know how things might have changed. Always stayed in West End. I've always taken cash for the entire stay, and so far never had any problems. Usually 3 or 4 week stays and I try to dive my brains out so accom + diving take most of the money. I've stayed multiple different places, and dived with a few different shops. What I do is unload most of cash on arrival to the dive shop and the hotel with the understanding that if I leave earlier / dive less then they return the balance, within reason. What's at risk is the relatively modest amount left over for beer.

That being said, I've never had an incident on Roatan or Utila anyway. My cameras, regs, laptop usually in view in my room, but I suppose that would be a much more obvious theft than skimming cash. I did once start to feel a little iffy (in Mexico) and resorted to carrying my passport cash and cards in a plastic waterproof pouch that hangs around my neck under my wetsuit. I don't notice it at all. I just put the passport in its own ziplock bag first for a little extra protection.

My last 2 or 3 trips I dived with West End Divers and they (previous owners) were always accomodating. Of course plunking down cash to cover 50 dives and diving 42 is one thing but only a jerk would do it after say 7 dives. For accom, I expect to still be subject to their cancellation policy. By the way, Karolina at Posada Arco Iris is an absolute Jewel ...

About surveilance:

Karolina is a good person. At first she didnt believe us, but after some checking on her part she really tried to make it right. I appreciated that.

ten dollars air ten dollars petrol divided by, equals fifty marvellous all inclusive shore dives per grand ahhhh
plus the five dollars for optional pizza
divided by 50 years is too much pizza
Can anyone translate this post for me?

Can anyone translate this post for me?
Absolutely: clearly, "divided" should be "multiplied", therefore $12,500 for pizza, which is too much pizza. The derivation becomes easier as PP(N2) increases.

Get a Charles Schwab account. You don't need a brokerage account. I transfer $3 to $4 k from my bank to the card a week before we leave and use like a debit card wherever we go. There are no foreign transaction fees and they refund any bank fees. Works great
I second the CS account. Best travel account. The only issue I have with ATM's is when they run out of money. Most places are cash/paypal only.

Get a Charles Schwab account. You don't need a brokerage account. I transfer $3 to $4 k from my bank to the card a week before we leave and use like a debit card wherever we go. There are no foreign transaction fees and they refund any bank fees. Works great
I do the exact same thing.....all over the world. The Schwab account is super convenient and all foreign transaction fees (ATM fee etc..) get refunded monthly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom