The most weird thing.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonathan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I was trying to take a photo yesterday of some shrimp under a rock. Anyway I had one finger down to steady me and I felt something on my hand. I thought it must have been a bit of weed or something.

Anyway a few seconds later it is there again and I look and there is a little black fish having a nibble! Unfortunately it then got an attack of shyness and would not pose for a photo!!

kawaii

Jonathan

Not so weird. A lot of fish will take a nibble at you if you stay still long enough. Some seem especially attracted to moles. And triggerfish.... Well, here in the Gulf they are some mean lil buggers. When diving oil rigs and doing spearfishing it is not uncommon for them to come right up to you and take a bite at you. I know a few people that have small chunks (and one not so small) missing from their ear lobes. Yet another good reason that we do this type of diving wearing nomex coveralls and often a hood.

Maybe you were just getting a manicure! I've had cleaner wrasse, some damsels and several types of shrimp come out and clean my fingers...they especially like your cuticles.

And if they bite, the DO NOT let go without extreme, uh, persuasion.

I've not been bit yet diving, but I've had them try. Another guy on my boat last week got bit on the hand when he tried to string one that he had shot and it wasn't quite dead... :)

NASTY fish with evil mouths. You'd think that small mouth was no big deal. Wrong guess.

(Eels are good for a nasty bite too!)

you got bit by a trigger, earlier this summer I got bit by an eel and last fall I got nailed BAD by a trigger that took a nice chunk out of my finger - both of mine were while fishing though :)

Then again I guess you got bit fishing too - you were just using a spear....

They're nasty fish for having such a small mouth....

Hope he tasted good as you got your revenge! :)

You guys are exactly right. Triggerfish are mean little...I don't know if I can say this, so I'll play it safe. I had one that took a chunk out of my head. I had to swat him away twice (I was about to get out my knife) before he left. I was pissed--he drew blood!

Sometimes nesting male Sergant Majors can be pretty nasty. Although, they are usually pretty skiddish. They'll nip at your fins if you get too close, but will retreat if you turn to them.

On the Chikuzen, near Anegada in the British Virgin Islands, there live two huge Jewfish (probably 500+ lbs). I was leading a group of divers around and one decided to give me a hungry look. He could have eaten me in one bite. I had to preserve my masculinity and stare right back.

brandon

on one of the wrecks around here.

I was swimming with him last week... he was cool; swam with me for probably 150 feet, not menacing me at all, just swimming on a parallel course as we eyed each other...

One of the neatest things I've experienced diving yet....

Hmm... The worst I've seen so far was a friend who got a big stingray hicky in the Caymans. :D

I guess I've been lucky or it's cause I usualy just keep my hands and arms tucked in close to my body but I havn't been nibbled yet while diving.

Had a small fish try to rip off my nipple in a lake one summer though. Hurt like h**l. It was sore for days. Boyscouts can be merciless... :jester:

I had a remora follow me for an entire dive, trying to attach itself to my neck. Mostly I couldn't see it, I could just feel something scratching me. My buddy said it was inside my BC for a while as well. Drove me crazy... by the end of the dive I was screaming obscenities at it through my regulator.

I've also been nipped by a wrasse while snorkelling... it went for a mole on my leg.

That stuff in the OW manual about fish only coming at you to defend themselves is utter tosh!

Zept

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom