The New Atomic TFX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the tools arriving Saturday for RSingler to test is a 3pin spanner for the cap... If both tools work as planned, I'll be making a combined one (single tool for cap and spring adjuster).

James, could you please put me in the queue for the tool/tools, if they go to production? As you know, I have two of the D420 adjustment tools and they have been invaluable!!

Thanks!!

James, could you please put me in the queue for the tool/tools, if they go to production? As you know, I have two of the D420 adjustment tools and they have been invaluable!!

Thanks!!
Pending RSingler's approval/improvements, sure... you may have to remind me though (for some reason I always have way too many irons in the fire!). My biggest concern is with the 3 pin spanner... the pins are stainless rod, but they are set into a printed handle. I worry that a corroded/not well maintained cap will take more torque than the printed plastic can handle. I have a couple alternatives in mind, but it requires more tooling and time to make.

And yes, I know I have a problem, lol!

Out of curiosity ... in a pinch, would those work for the cap?
@Pressurehead is right. The angle of the tips is wrong for a good engagement. The spread is barely enough.
The cap is titanium set into the case plastic with a collared o-ring seal. Since the titanium isn't subject to verdigris, the only way it will jam is previous overtorque or sand. I think @James79 's tool will be fine, or the pictured face spanner.

I got my face spanner pin wrench.

Do I need another special special tool to actually adjust the cracking pressure? For some reason I was thinking I just need a slotted screwdriver after I get the cap off.

I would go for @James79 's tool. Yes, a 6mm slotted screwdriver works just fine. But the plastic is soft, and if your adjuster gets stiff over time, and some of the D400's did, the off-center application of force will scratch the plastic and score the slot. You can see the scuffs I've put in mine already, just messing around...
Screenshot_20230824-082924_Gallery.jpg

A question I had for a while, since anything that deviates from the D400 catches my interest: Why is the poppet shaft elongated and sticks out through the spring pad (visible in your photo and the schematics in the video)?

Attachments

• TFX vs D400.jpg
    TFX vs D400.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 43
I don't know yet. I haven't had time to get to housing disassembly and eval. I've only pulled the poppet out once, and haven't yet evaluated the floating seat. If I had to guess, it might be a way to improve alignment of the poppet during movement. But, I don't know.

I would go for @James79 's tool. Yes, a 6mm slotted screwdriver works just fine. But the plastic is soft, and if your adjuster gets stiff over time, and some of the D400's did, the off-center application of force will scratch the plastic and score the slot. You can see the scuffs I've put in mine already, just messing around...

Thanks. I'm hoping James' tool is ready soon - and that I have my TFX even sooner. :)

I'm fairly handy. I'll get by with a screwdriver for an initial setup. I expect this to be my last single tank reg and last me the rest of my dive life. It's going to get beauty marks. I'm not going to sweat it too much if my adjuster looks like yours. It can't even be seen, normally. No blood, no foul. :)

Back
Top Bottom