The new Freedom Contour - The Rolex of backplates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much does a freedom plate weigh?
Approx. weights:
Small 4.4 lbs
Medium 4.7 lbs
Large 5.12 lbs
These weights are with the rail attached.

My personal new experimental plate, super duty commercial FP formed out of 1/4” stainless weighs 11.4 lbs. with HD rail. I added a 3 lb soft weight under the rail for a total of 14.4 lbs.
I’m going to combine this with a steel 120 and use it with my 1/2” Rubatex commercial urchin harvester wetsuit for those long dives gathering urchins for the sanctioned urchin removal dives in our freezing cold water.
Certainly not a job for a drysuit!

Just finished a fantastic week of diving on Grand Cayman at Cobalt Coast with my Freedom plate. Five lb lead for a 3 mm wetsuit and Al80's.
My Vintage Double Hose 18# wing was the perfect mate and performed like a champ!
Thank you @Eric Sedletzky and @Bryan@Vintage Double Hose
IMG958223.jpg
DSC00213~5.JPG 20180828_164913.jpg

Approx. weights:
Small 4.4 lbs
Medium 4.7 lbs
Large 5.12 lbs
These weights are with the rail attached.

My personal new experimental plate, super duty commercial FP formed out of 1/4” stainless weighs 11.4 lbs. with HD rail. I added a 3 lb soft weight under the rail for a total of 14.4 lbs.
I’m going to combine this with a steel 120 and use it with my 1/2” Rubatex commercial urchin harvester wetsuit for those long dives gathering urchins for the sanctioned urchin removal dives in our freezing cold water.
Certainly not a job for a drysuit!
That sounds like a heavy plate I certainly don’t need anything that heavy with the warm bath water I dive with AL80s but hope it works out and trims nice.

As an FP owner, I am somewhat concerned about going to lighter SS gauges to drop weight for those wanting lighter plates. This may sound a bit weird, but the thickness of the typical FP allows for those sensuous curves that can only be done by hand.

Aluminum is a tad less than a third the density of stainless steel. Problem solved in the same material thickness. I remain convinced that a corrosion resistant grade of aluminum would be the material of choice for a lighter plate. A high polish would be even more non-corroding.

7 Things to Consider When Choosing an Aluminum Grade | Metal Supermarkets

Back
Top Bottom