The oil is coming your way.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
It is predicted that oil will reach Pensacola by this weekend. I had booked a week there the second week of June, but it looks like that isn't going to happen. I hope it doesn't ruin the area and put many people out of business. Good luck guys.

I'm hopeful that the predicted damage to Florida is exaggerated. There are a lot of fear mongers out there and news of the "apocalypse," unfortunately, sells.

I'm hopeful that the predicted damage to Florida is exaggerated. There are a lot of fear mongers out there and news of the "apocalypse," unfortunately, sells.

:confused:

So how many years do you think it will be before the hydrocarbons have worked their way out of the food chain?

I heard many, many oil reports over the VHF today, and somehow I doubt they were all Anderson Cooper and Keith Olberman disguising their voices.

:confused:

So how many years do you think it will be before the hydrocarbons have worked their way out of the food chain?

I heard many, many oil reports over the VHF today, and somehow I doubt they were all Anderson Cooper and Keith Olberman disguising their voices.

I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but it will affect the area for many many years. Check out the fallout after the Exxon spill in Alaska. The area still hasn't recovered after 20 years. They estimate 10 more years.
Exxon Valdez oil spill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most of the people I know here in Pensacola are starting to believe it's not "if," it's "when." When it hits places you only know from a map, it's easier to hold out hope that it will stay away. It's very sobering when it hits places you visit with some frequency. That was my thought this morning as I listened to reports on the radio about oil washing up in places that are far too easy for me to visualize. My current short-term hope is that the weather soon clears up enough that we can get some diving in before our waters are undiveable. It is only with a sort of morbid curiosity that I online-window-shop for drysuits and full-face masks...

NOAA forecasts for the surface slick no longer leave much uncertainty of contact at the entrance of Mobile Bay within the next 72 hours. NOAA's 72-hour uncertainty boundary is currently right at Perdido Pass.

The Oriskany is still open, as are the other popular sites in the Pensacola area. We had divers on the Bridge Rubble 17 miles to the southwest of Pensacola Pass yesterday.

I have reservations to dive the Oriskany on June 12. I'm still holding on to the hope it will be divable by that time.

This is such a sad situation in so many ways. I hope the Gulf cleans itself up quicker than anyone anticipates. I think it is clear, we don't have the ability to do much to help.

I feel for the folks that make a living off of the gulf's produce - shrimp, fish, oysters, etc. Even if we have a rapid recovery (warmer waters than Alaska) of a couple of years, that's a long time to go without income. The banks and power companies expect to be paid, and families like to eat every day. While we (recreational divers) may be inconvenienced for a little while, and while we fret over lost wildlife, remember the people who pay the biggest price in this. Especially those people who died in the explosion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom