The OK sign

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LET ME CORRECT A FEW THINGS or RE DIRECT THE QUESTION.
Ok So I wave or ok at folks that come into the space I am in. A Hello, or a ok sign, is just my way of checking that they see us. As Mr Grunzster stated before, one guy swan right into us.
Being a quarry diver, and that being a small community, I expect someone to acknowledge me as they pass close, the same way I would if I passed close to them.

Where was anyone taught that 'ok' was 911? You give the 'ok' signal after you jump into the water. How is that 911? It doesn't make sense to associate 'ok' with 911. If I were in trouble, the last thing I'd want to signal is 'ok'.

From what I have seen, giving the 'ok' signal does three things. One, it tells the other diver that you are alright. Second, it asks the other diver if he/she is alright. Third, to some extent it assures the other diver that he/she is alright, as there is now someone available to assist them if needed.

People in panic tend not to be aware that there are other people close by. The shock may render their sense of surroundings nill. We see this when drown victims often do not scream for help. Divers in panic look like calm divers. This is why it is important that those three messages be simutaneously transmitted via the 'ok' signal.

This is why the 'ok' signal makes sense as a greeting. It not only results in the intended greeting, and also fullfills a safety exchange. IMHO, a wave or salute are just other forms of 'ok'.

grunzster once bubbled...
My buddy constantly gives everyone the "ok" sign, even when they aren't diving with us, and don't appear to have any problems. Most of the time they don't signal back.

Do more experienced divers see him and think "dorky new diver", or are they just dicks?

You'd think at least the guy that was so buried in his gauges the other week, that he almost swam right into me would have at least acknowledged us in some way?

If giving everyone the "ok" for no apparent reason labels you a geek, is there some sort of signal that is appropriate?
A nod, a wave, a high five, the secret scuba underwater handshake, yanking my reg out and yelling "WAAAAAAAAAAAASSSUP!"?

WAAAAAAAAAAAASSSUP!"? Thats pretty funny thats the way I would go

As a tangent question, how do you say something to the effect of "cool!" underwater? My hubby/buddy is always looking for little creatures during dives, and when he points them out to me, I usually use the 'ok' sign as a way to show him that I see what he's pointing at and "yes, honey, your discovery is very awesome." After reading these responses I'm thinking that I should be using some other sign. 'Thumbs up' is already taken, too, so what's another option?

btw, I was under the impression that waving underwater was a sign that you need help, so if I want to wave, I do a little pansy wave wiggling my fingers if I just want to say hello. I like the salute idea, though -- I'm gonna use that.

Angie S once bubbled...
As a tangent question, how do you say something to the effect of "cool!" underwater? My hubby/buddy is always looking for little creatures during dives, and when he points them out to me, I usually use the 'ok' sign as a way to show him that I see what he's pointing at and "yes, honey, your discovery is very awesome." After reading these responses I'm thinking that I should be using some other sign. 'Thumbs up' is already taken, too, so what's another option?

btw, I was under the impression that waving underwater was a sign that you need help, so if I want to wave, I do a little pansy wave wiggling my fingers if I just want to say hello. I like the salute idea, though -- I'm gonna use that.

My regular buddies and I use two different signs for cool...whichever is more convienent. There's the Hawian-esque, hang-loose sign of making a fist except for your thumb and pinky and rotating your wrist. We also use the ASL sign for cool which is (using your right hand) putting your thumb to your chest with your palm facing to the left and wiggling your fingers.

Oh, and I also use the pansy finger wave to say hello :) Waving back and forth looks to much like waving for help.

Peace,
Cathie

I love it as a feed back sign... it gives me a chance to keep tabs on student progress. I also use the Thumb/pinky hand wiggle for "cool" and the finger wave for "hi". I could never pass an "OK" up... I would have to respond, so too much of it would get tiresome quickly.

Angie S once bubbled...

When someone shows me something unexpected or particularly attracting to me (turtles are definitely one of my favorites, outside and inside water), I tend to applaud!

If, when diving in familiar surroundings, I cross someone I know and know they recognize me, I do use the "OK" sign, albeit not too often.

NetDoc once bubbled...
I also use the Thumb/pinky hand wiggle for "cool"...
Shaka brah?
Angie S once bubbled...
As a tangent question, how do you say something to the effect of "cool!" underwater?
In the 90s Ed Robinson's Diving adventures (http://www.mauiscuba.com/erd1.htm) used pointing with the pointer and index fingers crossed (as in "I hope" or "I'm going to break this prommise I'm making") to convey "You're lucky to see this".

Now the story from ERDA is that these two fingers crossed is ASL for "R" (can anyone verify this?) and they use it to stand for "Rare."

Either works for me, but I liked the old explanation better... :)

Roak

roakey once bubbled...

...snip

Now the story from ERDA is that these two fingers crossed is ASL for "R" (can anyone verify this?) and they use it to stand for "Rare."

Either works for me, but I liked the old explanation better... :)

Roak

Yes, that is the way you make an R

What's ERDA?

Peace,
Cathie

Back
Top Bottom