The Path to DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am acquiring the skills and attitude to become a DIR diver. I have the proper gear and I have read all the books. I have several DIR mentors but I have not taken fundies.

Are all divers that consider themselves DIR fundies graduates? Are you automatically DIR if you have passed fundies? Can you dive as a peer with DIR divers without taking fundies?

According to my mentors I have all the skills of a DIR diver. I need to learn a few of the DIR expectations of a team member. Can my mentors grant me the status of DIR or do I need the C-card from GUE?

FishDiver:
I am acquiring the skills and attitude to become a DIR diver. I have the proper gear and I have read all the books. I have several DIR mentors but I have not taken fundies.

Not a problem. Mentors are more important than courses.

Are all divers that consider themselves DIR fundies graduates?

Most that I know of but certainly not all.

Are you automatically DIR if you have passed fundies?

No

Can you dive as a peer with DIR divers without taking fundies?

Yes.

According to my mentors I have all the skills of a DIR diver. I need to learn a few of the DIR expectations of a team member. Can my mentors grant me the status of DIR or do I need the C-card from GUE?

A C-Card does not grant DIR status nor do mentors. You either follow the system or you don't.

You are very fortunate to have a good group of divers to dive with, and that can and are willing to mentor you. I wish I had some mentors closer.

I just finished fundies and based on my experience, I would be willing to bet that you would find the class worth it - especially if you have any intention of more advanced diving.

Good luck whatever path you choose.

Hunter

Fundies is just that, Fundamentals.

It gives you the basics to start with and it's up to you to continue learning and refining your knowledge and skills.

DIR is more about the path than the destination.

Just a thought Fishdiver, Solo diver(title above your avatar) and DIR diver are going to mix like oil and water.

But by the way I think DIR is more a way of thinking than a cert.
I think someone is capable of being a DIR diver without ever taking a class but it is rare.

Milo

A diver is a diver. Its all about adopting safe practicies. You certainly don't need the class but it is very helpful. As far as being recognized as DIR or not that is not really important what is important is the diving.

There are people who have taken the class, and who are employed with DIR affiliated organizations that are definately not DIR. Likewise there are people who have not taken the class that will be good buddies and are DIR if they want to be.

You choose.

What Cave Diver said.

I think that the most un-DIR thing that a diver could do would be to stop improving and learning. I'm trying to learn everything I can from my mentors and to also seek out new ones. I'll take Fundies when the time is right.

As my husband would say, "What is DIR?"

The people you normally dive with know you, and know your skills and your attitude and your equipment, and they'll decide what dives they will do with you based on those things.

If you travel and hook up with DIR divers who you haven't met before, they'll ask you what your level of training is, and then they'll decide what kind of a first dive to serve up. After that, they'll have evaluated your skills and who you are, and they'll go from there.

There are undoubtedly some people out there who would say they wouldn't dive with you if you haven't had Fundies, but at least in my book, you probably wouldn't want to dive with those people, anyway.

The class is very helpful because, even if you've mastered the individual skills, the level of teamwork and situational awareness is hard to recognize unless it's pointed out to you.

Consider DIR as a means to achieve a goal ... and as your skills and experience level progress, the goal continues to move to a higher level.

FishDiver:
You're moving in the right direction ... but if "being DIR" is important to you, you've just begun down the path.

FishDiver:
Are all divers that consider themselves DIR fundies graduates?
No ...

FishDiver:
Are you automatically DIR if you have passed fundies?
Definitely not ... passing Fundies only means you have attained a requisite level with basic skills to continue learning. Many ... perhaps the majority ... of people who take Fundies did so to learn those skills, and have no desire to "become DIR".

FishDiver:
Can you dive as a peer with DIR divers without taking fundies?
Depends on the DIR diver, and the type of diving you're planning to do ... most DIR-trained divers I've met will do recreational level dives with non-DIR divers, but few will do tech dives with someone who isn't similarly trained.

FishDiver:
According to my mentors I have all the skills of a DIR diver. I need to learn a few of the DIR expectations of a team member.
Learning how to function as part of a team is the most important part of DIR ... and the most difficult to learn ... because it involves the ability to perform tasks while maintaining your awareness of what's going on with your surroundings and team mates. Being a DIR diver means developing the habits that make you a naturally functioning part of a team. That's why solo diving and DIR diving are mutually exclusive ... the habits you learn to excel at each will prove to be an impediment to excellence at the other.

FishDiver:
Can my mentors grant me the status of DIR or do I need the C-card from GUE?
The only reason you need a C-card from GUE is if you intend to progress to higher levels of GUE training. Lots of people who took Fundies don't have C-cards ... the class was originally given as a workshop, and didn't even have a "pass/fail" criteria, much less issue a C-card.

Whether or not a GUE C-card is relevent depends on your goals ... if you intend to pursue technical training through GUE, then the C-card matters. If not, then it doesn't mean a thing.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

FishDiver:

Are all divers that consider themselves DIR fundies graduates? Are you automatically DIR if you have passed fundies? Can you dive as a peer with DIR divers without taking fundies?

As others have said, the solo diver moniker makes everything in your post a joke. Choose one or the other. Where are you in Australia? There are several good groups of DIR guys there, the Melbourne crowd is particularly active.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom