The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just finished the Kindle version on my ipad. Fun easy read. Amazing how many of these types we see while diving. I have to admit to rinsing my wetsuit in the tub designated for them. I never pee in my suit and didn't think about what someone else might be dipping. May have to rethink this.

You missed a major offender, the person who moves or messes with someone elses equipment.

Last year, at Roatan we had an old guy, my age, wearing a speedo. He would do his stretching exercises in front of the young females on the boat. Of course, they would get up and move leaving him with a puzzled look on his face.

Thanks for the smile you put on my face.

Very fun book, my wife gave it to me for christmas...

thanks for sharing all your tales...

I just read it while walking on the treadmill--something for all divers to aspire to. When is the sequel coming out?
Thanks for sharing, and I hope to get one of your cool log book stamps some day.

The sequel should be available sometime in the summer of 2012. Longer, more stories, more rules- including snorkeler interaction and group travel stuff. Thanks to the thousands who have bought the first book already! We promise to announce the second one here on scuba board!
DivemasterDennis

We were pleasantly surprised to meet a few people on this trip that read our book before we got here. We enjoyed the guy at a local dive shop who commented on the rules, with a smile! Apparantly there are a lot of scuba snobs on Maui, or who visit Maui, or who dive Maui.
DivemasterDennis

From Amazon Canada:

By
Fred: The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Ettiquette (Paperback)

This book is a quick and pleasant read with important information for all new divers and perhaps some good reminders for the veterans. We have all been taught and continue to work on our diving techniques, but no one else so clearly teaches the social conventions associated with scuba diving. Many, if not most of the book's lessons can be generalized under the heading of "Practice Good Manners". However, the authors deal with some "rules" for situations that Dear Abby would never have covered. The authors provide useful thoughts, often illustrated by humourous anecdotes, on such matters as avoiding underwater crowding, expected behaviour on dive boats, and a host of other situaions. Staying slightly above and behind other divers is a great tip. My only criticism of the book is that it is too short in length. I await the sequel and hope it is loaded with more anecdotes. People can be boorish anywhere. A crowded diveboat and an underwater group dive both provide great opportunities for the most humourous examples of poor behaviour. After reading this book, hopefully divers will have a little more incentive to keep in mind that diving is usually a shared experience. We should all be dive snobs if it means taking that little bit of extra care for each other. For those who refuse, they should be prepared to read about themselves as the dive snobs expose their boorishness in the next volume.

This short review recently from amazon.co.uk:
The book was very good and my son-in-law loved it, he has just starting scuber diving and found the book great.
For those of you from Canada, in what part of the Country do you say "scuber?"
DivemasterDennis

---------- Post added April 9th, 2012 at 08:09 AM ----------

This short review was recently posted on amazon.co.uk:
The book was very good and my son-in-law loved it, he has just starting scuber diving and found the book great.
Not sure if or where where I have heard "scuber" in my travels. Anyone?
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom