The settings? Quality very poor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BruceLee

Registered
Reaction score
I've just had this camera delivered after eagerly waiting for it, and after playing around with all the different settings and taking shots using it as a normal dry camera, i was quite schocked to see the low quality when I transfered the pics onto my computer.

I was expecting much more, my Nokia N95 mobile can take better pictures and also higher quality video (n95 takes the same size but 30 frames per second unlike the cameras 25fps). my last digital camera, 5 years ago took better pictures.

Also the best pictures that came out were the ones taken in external flash mode although a bit grey, since i dont have any external flash accessories.

I hope its my poor photographing skills that are causing this and not the camera itself, maybe i have the settings for it wrong?

It is important to have the correct camera settings for land and underwater photography. We would be happy to evaluate some pictures and see what's going on. Please email a few sample pictures to service@sealife-cameras.com. Please make sure to send only original, unedited image files. The DC800 will actually record video at 30 frames per second. Only in very low light will it use 25 frames per second which is normal for most digital cameras.

thanks, i will get right onto that.

I've seen underwater pictures that the camera takes and it is what made me buy it, however all my dry shots come out blurry and/or low resolution looking. Hopefully ill be able to fine tune the settings.

It would help if you posted the settings you had the camera on and a picture for us to judge...

this is done on all the standard/automatic settings. then pic is original and full size.

PICT0018.jpg

I took this with a very good steady hand and in light conditons, notice how poorly containers are reproduced and the cat hair.

If you want me to post more, using any other settings i would be happy to.

. . .one thing i have to ask is, I read that the shutter speed is supposed to be really fast, is it used to its maximum speed in automatic mode? because when i take pictures with the smallest amount of motion the pictures tend to come out blurred.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your camera.

N

you actually don't mention what camera this is. DC800?
I agree tho, this is a poor picture. It looks as though the lense is dirty or something else is wrong.
Here is a picture I took using my DC800 above water as a "dry" camera. As you can see it is crystal clear. Look at the detail on the hands of the guys holding up the fish.
0719_002.JPG

DId you have the flash on or off when you took the pics? Sometimes in automatic, with the flash NOT on automatic or on, you will get a shaky hand icon inthe bottom left corner...if you move, your pic will look horrible...not matter how steady your hand is, it looks bad....Try keeping the flash on....

Mike

Here are a couple pics of our most energetic employee at the shop....I just took these off a DC800 straight out of the box....I adjusted the sharpness to hard and quality to superfine...other than that, no adjustments...
Another suggestion, are you waiting till the box turns green before you snap the pic? When it turns green, its in focus....if your just pressing the button all the way and taking pic
before its in focus, that could also be a problem.....

PICT0002-3.jpg

PICT0003-3.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom