The SHARK!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, call me a n00b, because I am.... but what is with the back arched and fins down thing? I'm having a hard time visualizing that. Is that the indicator that they are in "attack" mode?

That's their aggressive posture. It doesn't mean they will attack, but they are cranked up & past being just curious. When a shark is doing this you have have to keep your attention of it as this is potentially a serious problem.

Bruciebabe:

Not to hijack this thread, but Eric Ritter is a moron. He's just standing in the water which is a pretty dumb idea. The old rule says the surface is the most dangerous place to be. Then after he gets bitten he blamed the other guy for knocking around silt, causing the shark to bite him. That is a bunch of crap if you ask me. :shakehead Sorry, but that guy is reckless and I would never enter the water with him. It is only a matter of time before he gets seriously injured or killed IMO.

That's their aggressive posture. It doesn't mean they will attack, but they are cranked up & past being just curious. When a shark is doing this you have have to keep your attention of it as this is potentially a serious problem.

It helps me if I see one that is not "collected" to relax a bit.

...never seen a Bull though..I think they could be the worst from what I've heard. Any idea roughly what percentage of Florida attacks they comprise? Cause that Destin area is getting to be very popular for sharks I hear. (has it always been that way?)

I had a "spooky" encounter with a pair of bull sharks on a wreck dive in North Carolina several years ago. Whenever we were over the wreck, we never saw them, but they made several passes at us whenever we got over the sand, always overtaking from behind. We were not spearfishing (obviously, since it was a wreck dive).

They appeared to be more curious than anything else, and never assumed the fins down "aggressive" posture that several other posters have described. It was very unnerving to say the least. One cool thing about the encounter was that they were accompanied by a small school of Pilot fish - first time I had ever seen that.

The Kraken:
Well, when ya see something in the water that's uglier than you, you generally have a tendency to get the heck out of there !!!! :D

I've never had that problem . . .

the K

I read Catherine's thread and then yours. Well how would that work for Catherine, there would be little in the water that is NOT uglier than her (I could only think of some cute harmless nudibranches) so should she be diving at all? :14:

The FL panhandle is thick with bull sharks, a high percentage of hits on humans here are bulls. But mostly they occur in shallow water, often low light/poor viz conditions.

If you're out playing or fishing in the band they hunt their food in, it increases the odds you may be mistaken for something else. Bulls when hunting seem to be prone to striking 1st & figuring out what it was after.

darylm74:
I read Catherine's thread and then yours. Well how would that work for Catherine, there would be little in the water that is NOT uglier than her (I could only think of some cute harmless nudibranches) so should she be diving at all? :14:

If you're wanting a date just ask her. :rofl3:

Wayward Son:
I see bulls fairly often out of Panama City. Both with & without fish. If i haven't shot any fish they usually seem to just be curious & mostly have not been aggressive, though I know of some cases where they got highly aggressive to others, despite the lack of fish.

When I do have fish, it gets more interesting.

Catherine, he would not have had a spear on this dive due to FL laws. Spearing is generally illegal on jetties here with certain specific exceptions. The Destin jetties don't meet them, so it's a sight seeing dive.

My first encounter with a Bull was in Panama City. My wife and I were diving the Black Bart when Smiley appeared right in front of us and lazily swam an arch around us. I think I could have reached out and touched him. He was at least 18 feet long and as big around as a VW. Back on board they said 8 to 9 feet but I didn't believe them.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom