The Shearwater Teric Announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It will be interesting to see if people (like me) who have the Perdix AI will go for the Teric. I won't as its not that cheap.

Just received my Teric today! I got lucky and found one in stock in a dive shop in CA (Dive and Photo). To me, this thing is the new hotness! Been playing with it for a coupe hours now, customizing, etc. Downloaded the cloud app, the desktop beta, updated the firmware on the Teric via bluetooth and now have it charging on my Anker charging pad. I found it very easy to navigate and setup. Haven't tried the transmitter as I don't have a tank handy but should be able to in the next day or two. Favorite feature? The floating red compass!

Just received my Teric today! I got lucky and found one in stock in a dive shop in CA (Dive and Photo). To me, this thing is the new hotness! Been playing with it for a coupe hours now, customizing, etc. Downloaded the cloud app, the desktop beta, updated the firmware on the Teric via bluetooth and now have it charging on my Anker charging pad. I found it very easy to navigate and setup. Haven't tried the transmitter as I don't have a tank handy but should be able to in the next day or two. Favorite feature? The floating red compass!
Congrats! It is a nice unit.

I just tried charging mine on a Qi pad and it worked seamlessly, so nice to have extra options for charging too.

BTW - there has not yet been a firmware update for the Teric (they shipped with v06) so you wasted your time updating it :wink:

I just tried charging mine on a Qi pad and it worked seamlessly, so nice to have extra options for charging too.

BTW - there has not yet been a firmware update for the Teric (they shipped with v06) so you wasted your time updating it :wink:

I didn't even look what it shipped with, just did the update. Regardless, it worked perfectly.

I upgraded mine as well.

Unusual for anything to “upgrade” if the firmware is already at the highest level. Normally you would be informed and it would do nothing

Shearwater.... there’s a update to your firmware!

Shearwater.... there’s a update to your firmware!

I agree but I don't think the issue is the FW on the Teric. The issue is Shearwater Cloud -- It should inform the user that the FW on the Teric is already the most updated. It doesn't do that. There are a lot of improvements needed on the Shearwater Cloud app.

Received my Teric last week. Can't wait to drive it in Niihau next week.

I find the menu and layout intuitive, screen to be even more brilliant than my Samsung smart watch, and the contrast excellent even on low brightness.

I decided to wear it as a watch after fully charging it to see what kind of battery performance to expect if using it as such during a dive trip. I fully charged the Teric Friday morning and wore it non-stop (except in the shower), even during sleep. The 20 minute motion timer turned the screen off while I was sleeping and if I wanted to see the time I could press any button to wake the watch.

The battery dipped below 10% last night approx 2200 and the Teric went into battery conservation mode (screen turns itself off after about 30 seconds of inactivity). The Teric fully died at around 0900 this morning.

It was a pretty non-scientific test but from full charge to 10% charge, I got 4 full days worth of daytime (Friday thru Monday), or approx 3.5 days use at 24 hours /day of wear, which I was impressed with. Of course if I was diving I wouldn't let the charge get that low.

One interesting note is on Sunday while performing a quick approach from 4500 to 500 ft to our airbase in our unpressurized helo (I am a Flight Paramedic) the watch vibrated and I looked down to see it had placed itself in dive mode due to the increase in pressure, and timed a dive down to 6.8fsw that it thought lasted 4 minutes before it caught on that I was not in fact underwater and ended the dive.

Received my Teric last week. Can't wait to drive it in Niihau next week.

I find the menu and layout intuitive, screen to be even more brilliant than my Samsung smart watch, and the contrast excellent even on low brightness.

I decided to wear it as a watch after fully charging it to see what kind of battery performance to expect if using it as such during a dive trip. I fully charged the Teric Friday morning and wore it non-stop (except in the shower), even during sleep. The 20 minute motion timer turned the screen off while I was sleeping and if I wanted to see the time I could press any button to wake the watch.

The battery dipped below 10% last night approx 2200 and the Teric went into battery conservation mode (screen turns itself off after about 30 seconds of inactivity). The Teric fully died at around 0900 this morning.

It was a pretty non-scientific test but from full charge to 10% charge, I got 4 full days worth of daytime (Friday thru Monday), or approx 3.5 days use at 24 hours /day of wear, which I was impressed with. Of course if I was diving I wouldn't let the charge get that low.

One interesting note is on Sunday while performing a quick approach from 4500 to 500 ft to our airbase in our unpressurized helo (I am a Flight Paramedic) the watch vibrated and I looked down to see it had placed itself in dive mode due to the increase in pressure, and timed a dive down to 6.8fsw that it thought lasted 4 minutes before it caught on that I was not in fact underwater and ended the dive.
that happened to me as well on a helicopter flight with the IRATIO dive computer. The Iratio doesn't have wet contacts so it did start a dive and let it run until the battery ran out. I was hoping that the shearwater had wet contacts on the steric, just like the petrel

At least it figured it out pretty quickly and stopped the dive. I wasn't too concerned. Funny your similar instance was also a helo flight.

On a couple other notes, I found the brightness so good during normal use I had the watch on low setting most of the time, and occasional medium or high brightness in the direct sun.

And the Flashlight function at night was actually pretty handy a couple times trying to find where I dropped my phone. :D Surprisingly bright in a dark room.

Wanted to seek some advice. I already have an Oceanic OCI but am looking to pick up either the Perdix AI or the Teric as my primary computer and the Oceanic will be a backup. Which would most of you recommend.

Back
Top Bottom