• Custom Divers TBK Sport wing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zeagle Ranger

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • Seaquest Raider

Votes: 8 12.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going outside right now, and going to sacrifice all my dive gear to the snow goddess, then charge $3000 of ski gear on my Visa card and head for Utah.

Just kidding.

I hate cold weather & snow.

My dad owns a Zeagle Ranger Ltd and keeps all his gear at my house. I "borrowed" it recently to compare it to the original Ranger which I've dove in the past. The Ltd was comfortable, nice distribution of weight and center of gravity - more toys. I don't like the tendency it has to force you a bit more vertical underwater so I will have to refrain from recommending it.

If you want a tight rig, that doesn't move, has low back cushioning, helps you remain perfectly horizontal in the water - is loaded with great features - choose the SeaQuest Pro Unlimited.

Seeing as you mentioned it, head over to DIS-UK and join their mailing list - I'm sure you could find someone near you willing to show you a backplate setup, and possibly even dive with you to try one. They seem a friendly mob.

I have read their site and signed up for the list. The DIR thing is starting to make a lot of sense and appeal to me, I just hope there are some members a bit closer.

The short list has changed a bit based on these discussions, as I said I am focussing on the harness/wing type, and going by price and reccomendations I am thinking the TPII is the winner in that case.

As there is so much support for the BP/wing type and with the increasing possiblity of trying one out I thought I might reopen that discussion. I don't see many disadvantages to the TPII versus the BP approach, especially as if I end up (against my current intentions) remaining a warm water rec diver, I know I will be more comfortable with a TPII harness than BP. Please explain to me why a BP could be a more sound investment for me at this stage of my diving.

To be honest, I feel a little weird about the idea of maybe turning up at a resort in a years time with kit that apparently makes such strong statements about my diving style, when to be honest I don't even know what my style will be.

Also could anyone address the weighting v lift question in my original post ? This may affect my decision.

Thanks again

Conor

Conor once bubbled...
Please explain to me why a BP could be a more sound investment for me at this stage of my diving.
Also could anyone address the weighting v lift question in my original post ? This may affect my decision.
I own and dive both the Transpac II and BP/Wing.
If you strip away all the hype, you will find two positions on the BP/wing vs all other BC's. There are the "One size fits all" folks who are wedded to the BP regardless of the diving scenario, and there are the folks who find a narrower envelope for the BP/Wing being "best." (You may have noticed some members of the first group have a tendency to state their opinions as fact, and aren't interested in even discussing the possibility that someone else may prefer something different. It is useful to remember that no matter how strongly they state their opinion, it is still an opinion) I'm in the latter group, and so my opinion is that at this stage of the game you'd most likely be happier with a Transpac than a backplate. But I also think that if you possibly can, get in the water with both for a few dives before buying, and buy the one you like.
Personally, I don't like a backplate with a single tank at all, and I prefer the Transpac with doubles up to 85's (though the BP is just fine with any doubles). Anything larger than 85's I use the BP exclusively. (Well, there is an exception - if I'm somewhere with only my Transpac and an unexpected opportunity to dive comes up I'm not turning it down for lack of a BP just because the available tanks are 104's!)
As for the weighting/buoyancy question, for tropical diving with single tanks, you can easily find yourself with zero ditchable weight if you have a steel BP. Any wing will provide plenty of lift with singles.
Again, the best way to decide is to dive with the equipment first.
Rick

I agree with Rick M. although I don't have a lot of interest in diving doubles at the moment. Rick, that is a nice statement regarding the BP vs everything else debate on this board.

Rick Murchison once bubbled...

I own and dive both the Transpac II and BP/Wing.
If you strip away all the hype, you will find two positions on the BP/wing vs all other BC's. There are the "One size fits all" folks who are wedded to the BP regardless of the diving scenario, and there are the folks who find a narrower envelope for the BP/Wing being "best." (You may have noticed some members of the first group have a tendency to state their opinions as fact, and aren't interested in even discussing the possibility that someone else may prefer something different. It is useful to remember that no matter how strongly they state their opinion, it is still an opinion) I'm in the latter group, and so my opinion is that at this stage of the game you'd most likely be happier with a Transpac than a backplate. But I also think that if you possibly can, get in the water with both for a few dives before buying, and buy the one you like.
Personally, I don't like a backplate with a single tank at all, and I prefer the Transpac with doubles up to 85's (though the BP is just fine with any doubles). Anything larger than 85's I use the BP exclusively. (Well, there is an exception - if I'm somewhere with only my Transpac and an unexpected opportunity to dive comes up I'm not turning it down for lack of a BP just because the available tanks are 104's!)
As for the weighting/buoyancy question, for tropical diving with single tanks, you can easily find yourself with zero ditchable weight if you have a steel BP. Any wing will provide plenty of lift with singles.
Again, the best way to decide is to dive with the equipment first.
Rick

Yup!

thethumper once bubbled...
have to agree w/Rick. I'm getting a DR BP/Classic wing for Xmas & have decided to dive that for dbls & keep my TPII w/Rec wing for singles & maybe light dbls.
But not everyone wants to have 2 BCs. I like my bp/wing for both singles and doubles, but have never tried a Transpac II. I guess I like what I have just fine and it sure seems a lot cheaper to me..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom