The Silent World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suggest that you investigate the English Deane Brothers "smoke helments" who predate Seibe Gorman

From what I recall, the Deane Brothers contracted with Siebe to modify their smoke hat (designed for firefighters) for diving. The first cut was really primitive (like today's heavy gear isn't???). It has been a long time, but I saw some drawings of the smoke hat and the first Siebe mod in either the Imperial War Museum or in that little Siebe Gorman brag hall. The drawings looked old, but were probably artist renderings rather than reproductions from originals.

By the way did you know Les Aston-Smith? He was the last GM of S/G probably about the same time you visited the factory.

"Know" is way too strong a word, but I was briefly introduced to the Director on that trip. I don't remember his name. I was 22 years old and far more interested in where diving was going than where it had been. All deep diving technology was coming from the US and France at that time. It was either 1973 or 4 when 13% of the oil-field divers in the North Sea were killed. Since Siebe Gorman was virtually out of the diving business, I left thinking the trip was a waste of time. Having the book is a great addition to my collection, but I treasure Nich Zinkowski's Commercial Oil-Field Diving far more.

Anyone reading this who is interested, here the best site I have found on Siebe, Gorman & Company Ltd:

Siebe Gorman - Diving Helmet, Hardhat, Boots, Knife, Suits, Pump and Diving Accessories

In hindsight, I now appreciate the importance of heavy gear. It is all about mass, buoyancy, and hypothermia. It is also the least expensive gear to maintain. Every tool has its place. It is still what you want to wear if you are running a jack hammer in a cold contaminated harbor.

Sorry El Dude for hijacking your thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom