The state of the diving tourism industry in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just dove with Hugh Parkey a couple weeks ago. We did not experience ANYTHING remotely like you describe. My wife and I were very happy with the operation, the dive profiles, and the safety/service overall. The issues that you bring up are very disconcerting and I wanted to mention that I dont think that Hugh Parkey runs their operation this way. After what I experienced I would say that they are a safe and reliable operation. I have only dove with them one day, so I cannot attest as to whether my experience was typical.

I just dove with Hugh Parkey a couple weeks ago. We did not experience ANYTHING remotely like you describe. My wife and I were very happy with the operation, the dive profiles, and the safety/service overall. The issues that you bring up are very disconcerting and I wanted to mention that I dont think that Hugh Parkey runs their operation this way. After what I experienced I would say that they are a safe and reliable operation. I have only dove with them one day, so I cannot attest as to whether my experience was typical.

I've used HP maybe a half dozen times, and they've been competent and professional every time.

flots.

PADI instructor here - my husband & I dove with Splash last February and can definitely attest to the professionalism and 'normal' standards of quality we experienced (as in, in no way lowered, and completely reasonable). We dove with two shops on Ambergris Caye - one was a bit less rigorous than the other (but no more so than the variances I've seen here in Vancouver) but both were not even remotely dangerous. OTOH, we deliberately skipped the Blue Hole in favour of Turneffe b/c it was $120 cheaper and ... you know.. actual dives, not a bungee jump.

That said, as we've bought some land on Ambergris, if there really is a market for an extra-cautious dive shop to cater to people who are scared of the current environs, hey, that's ok with me too. But I don't think it's nearly that grim.

I have also just returned from a dive trip to Amerbris Caye, one of which I will never forget as it is some of the most brilliant diving I have done anywhere in the world, however proper safety standards both boating and diving) were non- existant within this dive operation. I understand multiple divers/instructors are now filing complaints with Padi as well as the Belize Tourist Bureau. In my opinion, we were extremely fortunate that a tragedy did not ocur while on a trip to the Blue Hole. I have dived and lived in underdevelope countries all over the world and never experienced this level of failure to seucre and maintain the safety of fellow snorklers and divers. Additionally, we were appalled by the lack of courtesy exhibited by the dive instructor onboard and lack of attention to beginner divers. There were many OW divers plunging to 132 ft. depths who were obviously not perpared nor skilled for such a dive. One woman that I know was doing her first OW dive. I understand others were instructed to enter the water and found their air was not turned on. I checked my own tank and it too had not been turned on. I am a Water Safety Instructor and experienced diver and spoke with other instructors/boat captains who were equally appalled. The number of safety violations are simply too many to list here but I strongly encourage everyone to avoid Aqua Divers for your own safety and the safety of all.

Back
Top Bottom