The Swine Flu thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And your mom was right; don't bite your fingernails or pick your nose.
Can I still pick if I wash first...?

The WHO came to no definitive conclusion today.
Your biggest worry in traveling to Mex. may not be getting sick but whether or not travel becomes restricted, or the USA doesn't let you back in!

...the USA doesn't let you back in!
Gawd, your mind is wandering. I did have that happen on a dive trip once: 9-12-01. I don't think it's likely to happen again.

While I am not downplaying the seriousness of this illness, I would like to clarify that all of the reported cases in Mexico have been in northern Mexico (Mexico City and surrounding areas). There have also been cases in the USA, so this is not just a Mexican problem.

Schools and public locations are not closed up in Cozumel or the Riviera Maya and to date, there are no reported cases in Cozumel.

Cavewoman is in Mexico City right now, and yes, they are taking it pretty seriously here - yesterday, most public workers (ie. hotel, museum staff, police) were wearing face masks. Today, probably every other person on the street has one around their neck, if not wearing it. Schools and universities were closed yesterday. This definitely bears watching. And yes, the air is harsh! But it is a fantastic place.

ok no one come to Texas to visit or vacation....they have found several cases of swine flu in a town north of San Antonio (Shertz) they are shutting down the high school for one week since this was were kids were going to school.....didn't we have the bird flu scare a few years back?....I think I am going to Cozumel where I feel safe:)

I guess all we can do for now is chat about this until facts and more learned opinions are announced. Hope politics doesn't screw it up like in 1976.

Shutting down the Shertz high school for a week - wow! I saw that one Texas family had their home quarantined. House arrest would be hard on any family.

Excerpting from: New swine flu cases reported in Kan., N.Y.
New York City health officials reported today that more than 100 students at a school in Queens were absent with flu-like symptoms this week, and now lab tests suggest at least eight cases are likely human swine flu.

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has confirmed two cases of swine flu in a home in Dickinson County. One of the patients there had recently traveled to Mexico, flying in and out of Wichita.

The Health Department's lab has completed preliminary viral testing on nose and throat swabs from nine students at the New York City school and eight of those have proved positive for Influenza A. Because they do not match H1 and H3 human subtypes of influenza A by available testing methods, they are considered probable cases of swine flu. The specimens have been sent to the CDC in Atlanta for confirmatory testing, and those results are expected to be announced Sunday, New York officials say.
Wonder why they only tested 9 out of over 100? Odd.
The cases in California and Texas have been mild, but CDC officials said in a press conference early this afternoon that in Mexico, the same or a related strain of swine flu has killed many.

"We're very fortunate all of our cases have been mild. Only 1 out of 8 confirmed cases in the Southwest has been hospitalized," Schuchat said.

or the USA doesn't let you back in!

Great! I can stay Coz much more longer:D

When SARS happened in 2003 (8000 patients, 700 dead) , no country closed border.
And....sorry to say that both U.S. and Mexico is Swine flu infected country.....

Schools and public locations are not closed up in Cozumel or the Riviera Maya and to date, there are no reported cases in Cozumel.

Thanks for update. My wife reads online Spanish news in Q-Roo, which says that no big tour cancellation is seen so far.

ok no one come to Texas to visit or vacation....

I love Texas and have visited so may time. Sorry this time I just transfer plane there.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom