The Third Dive: The Death of Rob Stewart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems like something that should be covered by "Good Samaritan" laws if it isn't already. It's definitely embarrassing to be an American when citizens of other countries find out about lawsuits like this.

Yes it is

yes from ontario

It's going to court in the USA though. I forget if it's State or Federal.. there was some discussion about that in the past and I don't recall where it wound up.

For what it's worth, I believe all provinces in Canada also have Good Samaritan laws of some sort.

It's going to court in the USA though. I forget if it's State or Federal.. there was some discussion about that in the past and I don't recall where it wound up.

For what it's worth, I believe all provinces in Canada also have Good Samaritan laws of some sort.
Good Samaritan laws protect laypeople rescuing victims. I wouldn’t think they would be applicable to body recoveries. It’s also important to remember that once the search is called off, by the only folks with the legal authority to do so, the emergency is over. There is no such thing as an emergency recovery.

in Canada its only applicable to rendering 1st aid cpr, and aed , OR saving a life......not body recovery

I didn't see any of the broadcasts say "if you find him dead, leave him at the bottom of the ocean."
I don't believe the Coasties objected to the recovery or the initial check either. How log till they gotten the Coasties along with their gear that could have done that dive?
They found their son and get sued by the family!
They aren't suing them over the recovery.

Different topic:
Is the RB computer download (attached much earlier in this thread) sufficient evidence that this was NOT shallow water blackout? Knowing none of the true facts, I'm leaning toward either a fatigue/loop flood/drowning, or some DCS complication due to its being a third deep dive.
It would be nice to be able to eliminate shallow water blackout as a convenient red herring, if that is possible to do from the simple fact of a normoxic mixture readout throughout the dive.

They aren't suing them over the recovery.

But they are being sued by the family even though they were the ones who ultimately brought their dead son up to the surface.

In any event, Horizon got slammed. They lost a diver, they put a lot of effort and resources and actually manage to find him and now there is this stench of possible tampering of evidence on their part surrounding them.

There is definitely something to be learned from this.

But they are being sued by the family even though they were the ones who ultimately brought their dead son up to the surface.

In any event, Horizon got slammed. They lost a diver, they put a lot of effort and resources and actually manage to find him and now there is this stench of possible tampering of evidence on their part surrounding them.

There is definitely something to be learned from this.
As an operator, I would (and did) have a hard time leaving a body behind.

Back
Top Bottom