The town meeting regarding the Calypso LNG Gas Port.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tropicaledit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, in trying to keep this short, I just got back from the meeting regarding the LNG project. It was very impressive. The turnout was great, roughly 200-300 people. 25 people were allowed to speak at the podium. Out of the 25, 2 or 3 where in favor of the project. The remainder where in strong opposition to it. The people that spoke ranged from Mayors, to Fisherman, to Chemical engineers and to retired
congressmen, all of which, where in opposition to the matter. And I needn't have to mention, but they're considered very reasonable educated individuals. Take note Charlie99.

The impressive side of the meeting was the information that these people brought to back up there points of view. Shockingly, it doesnt seem to add up to quite with what some of the individuals on scuba board are saying. I guess some of these scuba board people are just more informed than others.

Anyway, Governor Charlie Crist will have the final say in this. It was a great turnout and hopefully the local and state governing process will work the way its supposed to on this topic, becuase there was no doubt to what the people wanted regarding this project.

Again, if your against this project, please send an email of your opinion to Governor Charlie Crist, I did and its posted down below the governors email address.

Charlie.Crist@MyFlorida.com

My email:
Governor Crist,

My name is Patrick Mulholland and I'm a 42 year old
resident of Fort Lauderdale who is in strong
opposition to the construction of the Calypso project.

I wanted to let you know that I just finished
attending the workshop regarding the Calypso project.
The turnout was extremely impressive, and I was proud
of the people and the information that they brought to
the meeting. Out of approximately 225 plus
individuals who attended, there was roughly 25 people
allowed to speak at the podium. Out of those 25, 98 %
were in obvious opposition to the project. Only 2
were in favor in having the port constructed offshore.
Statistically, An overwhelming opposing opinion to
the project.

I'm writing you now and joining with this community in
asking of you, as they do, through the people they've
elected to represent them, that you please reject this
project. And to be more specific to my opinion, the
argument of environmental and economic ramifications
if something were to happen.

Nobody, not the Suez company, Coast Guard, local
police department can guarantee protection from any
type of incident. In fact, I was shocked to hear that
during the meeting, the local sheriffs office had
no communication with anyone or company, regarding any
possible plan if there were to occur a possible
incident.

And to that point, an incident could occur in a
variety of situations; personal error, environmental
(weather based), terrorist attack or marine traffic
related. We cant predict the future on such a thing.
We can only hope that something of such a nature
doesn't occur.

In keeping this short Mr Crist, You wouldn't be able
to take back the beautiful shores and beaches and
marine life that make up our economy once something
happens. There's no second chance on this. All it
takes its one time and our ocean based economy could
be destroyed in an instant.

Please Mr Crist, I ask that you reject the development
of the Calypso Project.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely, Patrick Mulholland

Patrick, while I have not made up my mind if I am against or for this project, I applaud you for attending the meeting and thank you for your report.

Shockingly, it doesnt seem to add up to quite with what some of the individuals on scuba board are saying. I guess some of these scuba board people are just more informed than others.

ranged from Mayors (no expertise), to Fisherman (no expertise), to Chemical engineers (Expert) and to retired congressmen (no Expertise)

SO ONE chemical engineer-- I'll put our engineer DeepStops against any other when it comes to Boyles Law. (I made Boyles law a link so you did not get confused being a diver an all.)

What were the concerns the chemical engineer had about the project?? There could be some danger I am unaware of. I am not afraid of a "spill" as I know that for a fact will evaporate.

If there are other problems I'd love to hear about them.

I do not always believe the corporate people when they say.. it is 100% safe. In Example outflow pipes. "THe water is 100% clean and contains no organic waste products." YET anytime I have ever been near one the crabs are stacked ontop of each other to get at it and craps eat the same stuff political hopefulls sling!

The impressive side of the meeting was the information that these people brought to back up there points of view. Shockingly, it doesnt seem to add up to quite with what some of the individuals on scuba board are saying. I guess some of these scuba board people are just more informed than others.
Please inform us.

What was the basis of their objections? Seriously. Please educate us.

---------------------------------------------

The State of California has compiled information about LNG at http://www.energy.ca.gov/lng/faq.html . IMO it is a good discussion of both the dangers and benefits of LNG.

----------------------------------------

It appears from your letter than your main concern is the possiblity of a fire or explosion. I note from your other posts that you would prefer to locate any LNG terminal onshore, such as at Port Everglades. Have you looked at the ramifications of locating the terminal in such a high density urban setting?

If, on the other hand, that was just a red herring and you don't really prefer locating a LNG terminal at Port Everglades, have you really looked at the ramifications of not allowing the terminal?

------------------------------------

I see this issue kind of like the problem of locating a landfill. Nobody wants one in their backyard, but no matter how much we try to recycle, we still need landfills. If every single community rejected all future landfills we would eventually have big problems.

When looked at in a microcosm, each effort to prevent a landfill from being built looks like a nice, ecologically sound idea, but the overall result is greatly increased costs and CO2 emissions from hauling garbage long distances. (And usually, the same people that fight the landfills are also horrified by incinerators.)

It might seem to be a highjack to discuss landfills, but I see them as a more down to earth, low tech sort of siting issue that has many of the same problems as projects like the LNG terminal.

Last edited:
I do not always believe the corporate people when they say.. it is 100% safe.
NOTHING is ever 100% safe.

And you can never do just ONE thing. No matter how careful you are in doing something, there are always additional side effects and unintended consequences. Even "doing nothing" often has unintended consequences and side effects.

Maybe it's just me, but after reading both sides of the issue, it seems like people with environmental concerns could have more impact by striving to find a solution to the sewage discharge pipes.

I, for one, don't like swimming in excrement, and, other than algae, the ocean doesn't seem to care for it either.

Making a Stink

Either way, just bitching about the terminal doesn't solve the problem, it just makes you a whiner. As the old saying goes, if you're not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. I, for one, would not want my grandmother dying from heat exhaustion because she had to choose between a/c and food while all the whiners blocked attempts to moderate energy costs and sat around waiting for alternative energy sources.

Meetings are for show, petitions don't stop anything, if people are serious about stopping this, they will have to have a better lobbyist and more money to pass around the state capitol than the energy folks.

Meetings are for show, petitions don't stop anything, if people are serious about stopping this, they will have to have a better lobbyist and more money to pass around the state capitol than the energy folks.

I respectfully disagree. Citizen action kept the freakin' Navy from re-opening Cecil Field and moving the Master Jet Base from Virginia Beach to Jax. If you can make it clear the politicians won't get re-elected, the lobbyists won't help. Granted it takes a LOT of citizens to overcome the power of one lobbyist.

Big surprise - a meeting you advertised as a group getting together that are opposed to the project mostly spoke opposition to it. Funny how that works.

I caught the news clip of the meeting on the news last night. Most of the folks in the crowd were wealthy bluehaired condo commandos from Galt Ocean Mile who know virtually nothing about how the project works. Fear based on speculation and conjecture was all they televised. I'm trying to find a transcript of the meeting but I will attend the public hearing when it occurs.

Residents, officials rail against proposed natural gas port off Fort Lauderdale -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Residents, officials rail against proposed natural gas port off Fort Lauderdale

By David Fleshler | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
August 12, 2008

Elected officials and coastal residents denounced the proposed Calypso natural gas port at a meeting Monday in Fort Lauderdale, increasing pressure on Gov. Charlie Crist to reject the project.

About 200 people, many wearing "Stop Calypso" buttons, attended a meeting of the Broward Legislative Delegation to discuss the French company Suez's proposal for natural gas terminals 7.7 and 10.3 miles off northern Fort Lauderdale.

Speakers expressed fear of terrorist attacks, questioned the company's safety assurances, invoked studies saying the Coast Guard lacked the resources to ensure safety, worried about property values and asked why they should support a project that would bring more foreign fuel into the United States.

"You're asking us to put all our faith in you and just wait and see what you'll do," said Patricia Quintero, addressing Suez's assistant project manager, Brad Cooley. "That's not good enough."

The offshore port would allow tankers with liquefied natural gas to dock at a buoy, heat their cargo back to vapor and shoot it through a pipeline to South Florida's power plants.

Cooley insisted that a worst-case scenario, which has never occurred and is highly unlikely, would create a vapor fire reaching 3.8 miles from the source, not far enough to reach land.

"If the project were not safe, we would not do it," he said. "The industry has an unparalleled safety record."

But few speakers found his words reassuring.

"I don't want to live the next 25 years being stressed out wondering if there's going to be an explosion," said Linda Eidinger.

William Claire, of Galt Ocean Mile, said, "This was placed offshore so they could avoid having to conform to the rules of the local community.

"Although they put it eight or 10 miles out, there is the possibility that a terrorist could commandeer one of the ships and drive it right into Port Everglades."

With the approach of the Aug. 26 primary, the discussion took place in a highly politicized environment. Broward Sheriff Al Lamberti, who is seeking another term, attended and expressed concern about the project. Chairing the meeting was state Rep. Jack Seiler, a candidate for mayor of Fort Lauderdale. A couple of candidates worked the crowd, handing out campaign fliers.

Although the port would be in federal waters, federal law gives the governor of the nearest state the power to veto it. Several local elected officials, including state Sen. Jeff Atwater, who is slated to become Senate president if he wins re-election, joined members of the public in speaking out against the project, indicating that Crist would have to ignore strong local opposition to approve it.

The project still needs the approval of the federal Maritime Administration, an agency of the Department of Transportation. A public hearing will be scheduled before that.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom