The Trouble with Sun Block...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have found the best solution is to apply the sunscreen before leaving home...that way it actually fully 'soaks' into your face before you hit the water.
I have however also discovered an alcohol based sunscreen...this sounds weird but it works. I only use it when out on long trips as it can be a little dyingt o your skin but it doesn't leave ANY residue and it comes in a liquid spray that is really easy to apply.
I have no idea if it is organic or not....???? But can highly recommend it as an option for those long boat trips when the sunscreen you apply in the morning dissapears aftre the first two dives!!! :05:

dlndavid:
In many warm water reef locations, they only allow you to wear organic sunblock, as the non-organic stuff is causing damage to the reefs.

I appreciate all the advice and info. This certainly is something of which I had no idea. I kind of pride myself on being a good "environmental citizen". Guess I can do better!

diversjobs:
I have found the best solution is to apply the sunscreen before leaving home...that way it actually fully 'soaks' into your face before you hit the water.
"Don't leave home without applying it" works for me too. Another benefit is that applying it early means that I won't forget to do it later on that day when it's needed. Now if could just get my wife to stop laughing at me as I apply sunscreen before going to a boat for a pre-dawn departure ..... :wink:

Scubageezer:
I made what appeared to be a rookie mistake while diving in the Keys. Being red haired (what little is left), blue eyed and fair skinned, I tend to burn to a crisp rather easily. To combat the evil UV rays in Florida on my first warm water trip, I slathered myself with spf 1bazillion before heading out for our first morning dives.

Toward the end of my first dive, I had a bit of leakage in the mask and went to clear it. It's very common for me to not close my eyes when clearing a little water - big mistake. The sunblock remaining on my face burned the h... out of my eyes - I actually had to keep opening and closing my eyes until I found a clear space in some sand to set down, take the mask off and rub the rest of the sunblock off my face and eyes.

I now clean my face of any residue before a dive and always close my eyes when clearing my mask but was wondering if anyone knows of a good tearless sunblock that actually works.

Yes.. that was my first scuba injury.. sunburnt!

I use coppertone 30 SPF. It is in the blue bottle is about about $8 at Walmart. Does not run or sweat into my eyes. I put it on my face about 20 minutes before each dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom