The Truth about Michigan State Park/diving Legislation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sledge:
Is your real name Greg MacMaster or Ken Vrana?

Nope, sorry... That's not me.....I use my real name on every post. And I truly don't think Ken would waste his time reading some of these posts that have no merit to their claim. He's a researcher and works from facts. :11:

So why doesn't everyone else use their real name here? :wink:

The government (State and Federal) has a lot of history with making something voluntary, then once the basic law is on the books gradually moving to mandatory.

Example: Seat belt laws - When first enacted voluntary, then moved to an offense only ticketed when pulled over for another offense, now the law is a major fund raiser in most communities.

I am sorry if I do not trust the government to look after mine or others best interest. The problem with most of these laws is they are vague at best and sometimes downright misleading.

I have read this law and it leaves a lot of questions about who will manage the preserves and how the monies will be spent.

krjohnson:
I am sorry if I do not trust the government to look after mine or others best interest.

You should never be sorry for that.

krjohnson:
I have read this law and it leaves a lot of questions about who will manage the preserves and how the monies will be spent.

And will there be any money at all?

krjohnson:
The government (State and Federal) has a lot of history with making something voluntary, then once the basic law is on the books gradually moving to mandatory.

I would agree.

Example: Seat belt laws - When first enacted voluntary, then moved to an offense only ticketed when pulled over for another offense, now the law is a major fund raiser in most communities.

The Invasive Species Bill never went Mandatory. Touche'

I am sorry if I do not trust the government to look after mine or others best interest. The problem with most of these laws is they are vague at best and sometimes downright misleading.

You should never appologize for your feelings.

The management will be the same and not change and for anyone to say that it will without reference is wrong. As for spending, all the preserves have to do it submit a proposal for money to be spent and expalin where and how (and account for the money that was spent). Then everything is fine. But this decision should be left up to the Michigan Underwater Salvage and preserve Committee (or the new committee). This shouldn't be placed in the Bills. To shoot down a Bill because it doesn't explain this (when it should be done via the Committee) isn't fair.

Sledge:
Previously agreed.

Would you donate $15 for a good cause?

Greg_MacMaster:
Would you donate $15 for a good cause?

Depends. Does the organization collecting the money have a good reputation for spending the money on fixing the problem rather than fill their own pockets?

Myconcern is how much of the funding will go to "consulting and administrative fees"

Sledge:
Depends. Does the organization collecting the money have a good reputation for spending the money on fixing the problem rather than fill their own pockets?

That will be left up to the committee that determines what proposals will be granted money. If you request $10,000 for buoying 6 shipwrecks and you get that money... Isn't that what matters? If you request $4000 to survey a shipwreck and it's approved, Then what's the problem?

By the way, that committee is partially made up of public and government people.

Betail:
Myconcern is how much of the funding will go to "consulting and administrative fees"

How much of every dollar should go towards consulting and administrative fees? would you suggest a "cap" on funding to that area? I have an arbitrary number in mind, but let's hear yours.

Sledge:

Folks, I have yet to find anyone who does trust the government. I'm included. But there are some within the government who mean well and are doing what they can to make a difference. Granted, the history of our government has been poor and Michigan lags 50th in the economy.... But good things are happening. Things that will be good for us, visitors and all around promotion of our waters. Many think that what is missing in the laws is a detriment and fail it right off the bat. It's the committee that will take responsibility of how, where and accounting. And that committee is comprosed of you, me and others as well as the government.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom