The Truth About Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob,

Ah... finally the voice of reason! You have given more sound advice than most of the other posts in this thread. Congratulations on your 800 dives. With your advice it's obvious that you've made them unlike many on scubaboard.com who seem to spend far more time posting regurgitated material and thinking about diving as opposed to actually doing the dives. (Not to knock the post from Jerod Jablonski. JJ, George and the team have done some amazing dives. But that's outside the realm of 99% of most divers. And no... I'm not a DIR nazi.)

I, like you, are not a dive shop operator or instructor. Just a guy who has spent most of the last 30 years trying to stay out of that trap because it cuts into my diving too much.

Good luck in your diving!

Mark,
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I to wonder if some of the people on this board actually dive or just write about it. There are some truly skilled and seasoned divers who post here and they're not hard to identify.
We have to know certain academics to dive, and we should know them well, but nothing replaces skill, training, and common sense. It also takes self dicipline to become a good diver. If you're ever in Florida maybe we can get together and do some diving. Dive Safely. :tree:Bob

Bob,

What part of FL are you in? I generally make several trips a year to FL depeneding on what business will allow.

Dear Readers:

My congrats to Lost Yooper for his 10-7 posting on oxygen toxicity. I found that to be a very nice and factual piece.
:thumb:
Dr Deco

If you use Microsoft Excel and are interested in seeing (or downloading) a graphical representation of NDL vs Depth for Air, EANx32, and EANx36, go to ( http://www.magnificentrelief.com ). I have just added a link (last dive flag on the home page) to a location where I will start putting dive-related down-loadable documents.

In addition to plotting the gasses, I plotted a line which represents a single 80 cf tank of breathing gas. The user can change a single number to make the line represent his or her gas consumption. For example, the number <1> represents "average" gas consumption. If your gas consumption is less than "average", use a number less than <1> like <.8> or <.9>. If your gas consumption is better than average, use a higher number (I use <1.2> ). Change the number to <2> and the line would represent an "average" person using doubles.

This is the first time I've put an Excel file on my website, but it worked O.K. when I tried it. Internet Explorer lets you "right click" on the file and save the document on your computer so you can open it later.

I'm really glad a few of you enjoyed that piece I posted. I wasn't sure if it was overkill for this board or not. I'm just glad I'm not the only one who enjoys the theoretical aspect of these type of subjects. I must have 100 pages + full of crap like that from various authors.

Take care.

Mike

If I missed it, I am sorry, but I feel that for people like me:48, overwieght, & 3 orthopedic surgeries (shoulder, knee, back), I use nitrox on all recreational dives. I know that nitrox is not statistically significant safer than air for the average diver. I am not average. I have three pre-disposing factors to DCI. In my mind, and thats all that counts for my diving, I am safer.

I also use a computer, and to this day have never pushed the computer into the yellow zone. I always stay in the green. Safety is non-negotiable.

I liken these to having a 100 watt stereo. Except on a Saturday night when we were in college, we did not use all 100 watts :) However, the signal was far clearer than a 50 watt per channel stereo when we play it at 25 watts output.

Because we are not as close to the edge we are in better shape, especially and old fat hurt guy like me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom