The truth of U-869

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just out of interest John, do you and Gary still speak after the publication of SDE?

It seems that you used to do a lot of diving together, but equally I suppose you are not exactly at the top of each others Christmas card lists at the moment.

Also, any word on the long awaited Shadow Divers movie?

RM,

Gary and I were together on the 1994 Starfish Enterprise Lusitania Expedition, but we barely knew each other. After that, there was a dozen or so trips on the Seeker, where either I had a charter and he was crew, or we were both crew. We were together in court on the Lusitania after that as well. Simply put, we largely traveled in different circles. We were neither rivals nor friends.

Bill Nagle took me to Gary's house for a Doria Divers Party in 1987 or 1988, and that was the extent of our social interaction. My wife met him in the Seeker parking lot, once. Other than in Ireland or on a boat, we have never had dinner or even so much as a beer together. This guy does not know me, has never interviewed me, and I have no idea where he comes up with his pulp fiction crap?

The last time I saw him was a couple of years ago, at a dive show in Fort Lauderdale, about a month or two before he released SDE. We chatted briefly. He failed to mention anything about his upcoming book.

Gentile has repeatedly attacked me personally, and professionally, I assume because he thinks it enhances his reputation. He has nothing relevant to say, he is bitter, he is angry, and has decided to take it all out on me because I have the profile he wishes he had.

I never went looking for an agent, or an author, to tell the story of the U-869? They found us. I never went to the History Channel looking to host a series, they came to us. The only one interested in Gentile, is Gentile.

I have never had to attack other divers to stroke my ego. He believes if he repeats the same lie enough times, it will become fact. With yet his third hate book ready for release, still with the same old tired cut and paste crap in it, I can't believe anyone would believe anything this guy has to say, much less buy his $20 paperbacks.

He has never been on my Christmas card list, and I have never been enamored with him, his writing, or his politics. I don't care for him, care about him, or respect him. If I wanted to sling mud, I have plenty of ammo, but that is not me.

Changing gears, 20th Century Fox just renewed the Shadow Divers contract a couple of months ago and they are working on the latest revision of the script. I can only hope the planets align? Maybe it will happen?

How is your diving going?

Cheers

JC

I'm sure there are a lot of people that think they really know you John.
May I call you John

Damn how do I do them emoticon thingies...

John, (if I may be so bold)

I have been following this thread, I wanted to say that I have enjoyed your post, not so much for the content but your willingness to share your opinion without resorting to namecalling or mud slinging. I doubt I could be as generous. Thank you.

As far as my diving, I spend most of my time in the cold fresh waters of central ny. Mostly the Finger Lakes, and Lake Ontario. I do try to get to Dutch Springs 5-6 times a year too. I find that the diving in Dutch is very similar to my local diving, but the social aspect is just awsome for me.

Any ways, as this appears to be turning into a question and answer thread....

Do you ever get to any pleasure diving?

Ohm

Have Danny Devito and Meatloaf signed on yet for the movie?

Maura says Hi and wanted you to know she got to do the 352 without seasickness

Al

For me, a pleasure dive is one where I have something to do.

That is why I loved commercial diving, and why today I am happy working on a wreck, testing new equipment, shooting video, or cleaning the hull of one of our boats. Then the issue becomes, which dive is more pleasure than another?

Cheers

JC

Al,

Love the Avitar!!!

Anyway, many congrats to Maura. We can only imagine how far she will take all this?

Cheers

JC

Have Danny Devito and Meatloaf signed on yet for the movie?

Maura says Hi and wanted you to know she got to do the 352 without seasickness

Al

Al,

Love the Avitar!!!

Anyway, many congrats to Maura. We can only imagine how far she will take all this?

Cheers

JC

I saw that picture on the net and had to have it.

She will pursue her PhD studying elasmobranchii and probably go to a rebreather in a couple of years along the way. The dive shop she part times at has been encouraging her to become an instructor.

She tried to send you a report of her last Moorehead trip with Amy on the Mutiny at your Last Breath email addy

If she gets a show she wants you to be her first guest....

1st let me apologize for the stalker -fan- mentality I appear to be suffering from....

... Then the issue becomes, which dive is more pleasure than another?

Cheers

JC
Okay I'll ask...

2. Out of the bazillion dives or so, Any dives stand out more than others?
oh and why?

WOW!! I am totally impressed.

I did not get the report. My e-mail jc at johnchatterton dot com works if you can resend?

Cheers

JC

I saw that picture on the net and had to have it.

She will pursue her PhD studying elasmobranchii and probably go to a rebreather in a couple of years along the way. The dive shop she part times at has been encouraging her to become an instructor.

She tried to send you a report of her last Moorehead trip with Amy on the Mutiny at your Last Breath email addy

If she gets a show she wants you to be her first guest....

I have been incredibly fortunate in my diving career, and I would say life in general. No one single dive stands out. I probably don't remember them all, but I remember both good dives and bad dives. Doria, U-boat, Carolina, Titanic, Britannic, and some of the projects I am working on now, how do I come up with just one single dive?

I am always looking forward to the next dive, and the next discovery.

Cheers

JC

1st let me apologize for the stalker -fan- mentality I appear to be suffering from....

Okay I'll ask...

2. Out of the bazillion dives or so, Any dives stand out more than others?
oh and why?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom