The wait is over: Suunto Eon Steel is here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Page 41 has an example mixed gas dive to 55m using 18/45 and 50/10. Does that count as technical? I think they are saying you had better be doing it for fun. Not recreation is not the same as technical, and not technical is not the same as recreational. Most technical dives by people I know are for fun, ie recreational.

I thinks directly contradicting industry vernacular. Technical diving is anything involving enriched oxygen mixes above 40%, decompression stops, or (I think) even switching a regulator underwater is "technical"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thinks directly contradicting industry vernacular. Technical diving is anything involving enriched oxygen mixes above 40%, decompression stops, or (I think) even switching a regulator underwater is "technical"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
depending your country, technical diving doesn't have the same sens.
in France, doing decompression stops has nothing technical. we're trained to and did regurlarly.
nitrox < 40% is not technical.
taking a pony and doing stops on oxygen can be qualified as.

depending your country, technical diving doesn't have the same sens.
in France, doing decompression stops has nothing technical. we're trained to and did regurlarly.
nitrox < 40% is not technical.
taking a pony and doing stops on oxygen can be qualified as.

So, what would "technical" likely mean to a Finnish company?

Is the question not, what constitutes professional? The manual makes no reference to this not being a technical dive computer. Furthermore it's full of technical dive features (trimix & CCR) so how can you arrive at that conclusion anyway

........ Page 7 of the Eon manual clearly states that this unit is for recreational and not professional (technical) diving ......

Why are you implying that a technical diver is also a professional diver?
Does a technical diver get paid to dive?

Alberto (aka eDiver)

So, what would "technical" likely mean to a Finnish company?
depending if Suunto engineers are speaking "market share" or "serious diving"

at my level, technical is trimix.
taking a oxy pony is just for safety.

Not until they work the bugs out of wireless AI ! They are still far too finicky and problem prone.

Hi guys - we here at Suunto are reading the comments and it's very valuable to get feedback. This also is the way to go forward since this release is really not the end of the EON story. Rather the beginning.

The EON Steel uses a different protocol in communicating with the wireless tank POD. The communication method is improved and therefore Tank POD as we call it works only for the EON Steel. The old transmitters are not compatible with the EON steel. Having said that most of our customers are happy with the older tank transmitter and haven't had issues with this.

Chris has been involved in Scubaboard as our key spokesperson, but we are reading and listening also here. Just to let you guys know that. :)

All the best from chilly Finland

-Jukka, Product mgr at Suunto Diving

Hi guys - we here at Suunto are reading the comments and it's very valuable to get feedback. This also is the way to go forward since this release is really not the end of the EON story. Rather the beginning.

The EON Steel uses a different protocol in communicating with the wireless tank POD. The communication method is improved and therefore Tank POD as we call it works only for the EON Steel. The old transmitters are not compatible with the EON steel. Having said that most of our customers are happy with the older tank transmitter and haven't had issues with this.

Chris has been involved in Scubaboard as our key spokesperson, but we are reading and listening also here. Just to let you guys know that. :)

All the best from chilly Finland

-Jukka, Product mgr at Suunto Diving

If you are listening, then take into future planning a true decompression tec function (you can set is as a mode like the Petrel is now doing with its recreational vs technical settings) so that TEC divers aren't locked out using your device.

Also consider reducing the price of transmitters into the relatively reasonable range as tec divers will need no less than three at all times.

Seems you had a great shot at a new market niche... But this isn't it.

If you are listening, then take into future planning a true decompression tec function (you can set is as a mode like the Petrel is now doing with its recreational vs technical settings) so that TEC divers aren't locked out using your device.

Also consider reducing the price of transmitters into the relatively reasonable range as tec divers will need no less than three at all times.

Seems you had a great shot at a new market niche... But this isn't it.

Hi Omission. Thanks for the feedback. Noted.

What would you consider as a reasonable price range for 3 transmitters? Would it be worth offering 3 transmitters as a package?

Thanks,

-Jukka

i disagree.

tec divers need reliable hardware
as gauge

plan your dive, dive your plan.
if you plan your dive, you know how much gas you need.
if you dive your plan, the gauge is only here to tell you didn't lost any gas
if you dive your plan, you know you have enough gas.
i have the deco's gauges under my eyes.

so, why lost money with transmitters ?
keep it for helium.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom