Them Durn Red Spots!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozymandias_kok

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
When editing a photo using the automatic adjustments, sometimes I get red spots, sometimes singley but other times in large clumps. Does anyone know what causes this and how to erase them? I have Photoshop Elements 4 -- pretty big improvement over PSE2.

I would guess that the red spots start off as white spots before you auto adjust them. The color balance is automatically adjusted by PS to add the red missing from the original and your spots turn red. My guess, anyway. You may be able to mask the white areas in the photo before auto-adjusting (adjusting color balance), but you will probably get some strange results!

One way to "get rid" of them is to avoid them altogether by adjusting the white balance of your camera while shooting. That way the colours would not need as much adjustment and therefore less red spots.

I should probably just can it and let a guru speak!

Cheers,

Andrew

Could you post a picture, before processing, that would get red spots when processed?

If it is what I think it is I have tried to manage it in two ways. The first being by correcting that white balance of the photo with PS4 then using the auto levels

or

by adjusting the levels manually, that way you have more control over the reds spots showing up at all.

I'm not a pro at the PS stuff either, but this is what works for me :D

ozymandias_kok:
I have Photoshop Elements 4 -- pretty big improvement over PSE2.

I do not mean to hijack your thread, but I have a question. I now have PSE2 and I have been considering getting the upgrade to PSE4. Could you tell me what are the major differences in the two photo processing systems? I do not use the camera enough to warrant going with PS7 or PSCE. Thanks.

PSE4 seems a lot more accessible and wizard-y, so you don't have to be an expert in the software just to use it. It's much easier to delve into features you wouldn't have otherwise uncovered or used. This is less of a problem with earlier versions of PSE than with something like full-on Photoshop, which can get pretty complex. I've just been wandering around the basics mostly, but it's much easier to fiddle with the brightness, contrast, etc and I think the auto adjustments are more comprehensive. I couldn't really give good information on feature set other than that, but it seems like a much better package.

I'll double check on some of the pictures and see about posting.

great...then we can give it a try :wink:

I had PSE2 and bought PSE3 when ic came out the layout is a bit different and has a few new nic nacs.
What I like - off the top of my head:
For some tools there is now a reset button, meaning I don't have to exit or cancel what I just did to start all over
When using some of the filters a big screen opens and you can jump between filters without exiting and waiting for the next filter to pop up
You can now process RAW photos

What I miss is the zoom button that used to show the size in % and when using bevels and stuff like that there used to be a cancel button, that is now gone too

Other wise I am happy with my upgrade

What produces red artifacts? Photoshop breaks your image down into three primary colors, red, green and blue each having its own color channel. Your screen image projects all three channels simultaneously (Channel RGB). When you shoot underwater at depth without adequate strobe coverage, there is little information (or very noisy or blotchy information) in the red channel because of the absorption of the red end of the spectrum. In full version Photoshop you have a channels palette that will let you “look under the hood” and see what the red channel looks like. In Photoshop Elements you have to guess. Go to Enhance>Adjust Lighting>Levels and in the Channel drop down menu change the channel to red. If the red channel histogram is pushed up against the left side and slopes down toward the middle of the histogram, this is evidence of a “dead red” channel.

Adjustments like Smart Fix and AutoLevels assume that you have good information in all color channels and all the computer needs to do is rebalance them. When it tries to rebalance the dead red channel then it ends up producing the red spots or artifacts you are complaining of. Otherwise, smart fix or AutoLevels can work nicely on images shot with good strobe coverage or very shallow with good ambient light and stronger reds.

How do you fix the red artifacts? First, you can listen to Lisa. Forget AutoLevels or the levels adjustment in the lighting section in quick fix mode and go to Standard Edit. Select the levels adjustment dialogue box (Control-L or Enhance>Adjust Lighting>Levels). First change the channel selection in the drop down menu at top from RGB to red. Move the right (highlights) slider to the left until it touches the “tail” of your red channel histogram. Then fiddle with the middle (gamma) slider until you get the red spots and then back off until the red spots disappear. You then can go to the green and blue channels and adjust the sliders until you have color corrected your image to taste. Sometimes this method takes a couple of passes to get the adjustments the way you want them. If you are a more advanced PSE user then I suggest using Levels as an adjustment layer (get the drop down menu by clicking on the half black/half white circle in the Layers Palette) because it lets you go back and change your settings and has a built in mask if you want to “paint out” part of the adjustment.

If this does not produce satisfactory results then consider the Mandrake Method to attempt a repair to the red channel. A number of threads have discussed how to do this and I am happy to provide a link to an article I wrote which reviews this method. Because Mandrake involves a number of steps and layers it is really better suited to an action in full version photoshop if you have to adjust a lot of images, but I have heard from a number of PSE users who have used it with great results for the occasional image project in PSE.

I am speculating somewhat as to your problem. If you want to post an image then I am sure we can all help you work on it.

—Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom