Theme 01 - 15 January, 2009: Post your favorite photo of 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This year when I dove, I dove without the camera for a change. My wife took this photo while we were in Negril.

Attachments

• negril.jpg
    negril.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 53
In Cozumel with my P&S A620. I was happy I remembered to switch to macro mode.

IMG_3099_flamingo_tongue.jpg

spotted_trunkfish_Bonaire_N.jpg

A spotted Trunkfish, quite happy to pose for us. Bonaire, November 2008

Fabulous colors on the weedy, Frank. I went to Oz last year but flooded my camera on the first dive in GBR. I went to Sydney afterward so of course I have no photos of weedies. Plus my dear friends Theo and Lorraine (Almity1 & wife) told me when I was there it was one of the worst for viz. I think we only saw 2 weedies and Theo took photos and even got me in one of them.:D But I was so happy just to see them. I must go back and try to get viz like you did.

Click on image to enlarge
Polycera hedgpethi from Redondo Beach. I hadn't seen one until that dive, then found another a few feet away. I found two more on later dives.

This was a good year for me for diving and photography. in addition to my usual forays to the Channel Islands, I managed three dive trips! I dove in Cozumel, Alaska, and Guadalupe Island. It is tricky to only pick one image, but if I had to, it would probably be this Steller Sea Lion pup. The image isn't technically perfect, but it makes me and my wife smile. I love the whites of his eyes. Enjoy (and click on him for more details).

This isn't my best, IMHO, but other people seem to like it

2633232817_0d0fff1fd3_o.jpg

This is one of MY favorites
2481515100_614215d60a_o.jpg

The non diving photo that I really like is this one of Tavurvur volcano in Rabaul Papua New Guinea. It was really blowing the last time I was there.

2299646206_f59f868026_o.jpg

This isn't my best, IMHO, but other people seem to like it

2633232817_0d0fff1fd3_o.jpg

This is one of MY favorites
2481515100_614215d60a_o.jpg

The non diving photo that I really like is this one of Tavurvur volcano in Rabaul Papua New Guinea. It was really blowing the last time I was there.

2299646206_f59f868026_o.jpg

All three very very cool. Impressive!

I just couldn't choose, so these are my two favorites. I notice many of you have commented that your pick may not be the best "technical" shot, but the one that captured the moment. That was my thought as well.

The first is one that probably violates all of the technical rules, but every time I see it I just laugh. I can just hear the grunt yelling something at the poor little porkfish. I got maybe half a dozen pretty good shots of that porkfish cleaning the grunts, but this is my favorite.

singing_before.jpg

This second photo was taken a few days after Fay came through the Keys. Our timing was bad as we drove all the way to the Keys and spent most of the week watching the wind blow. On our last day we were desperate and dove 4 tanks out on French's reef in terrible vis. The storm had blown a lot of grass in around reef and we saw this turtle a few times that day. It was our last dive. Normally, my dive hubby is in charge of taking all of the exciting pictures of turtles and sharks (I stick to the macro work). Every time he tried to take this turtle's picture it would move away. I had the camera and decided to give it a try. I moved in real slow, and the turtle just kept eating. I was only a couple of feet away. I moved the strobes,changed the settings, practically had a party and he never moved. I have another shot which is the classic close-up profile with a blue background, but this is the shot I like best. It was the interaction and the moment.

green_turtle_e_d2_keys_808.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom