There's a bill in congress to ban shark feeding dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The bill: All Info - S.3099 - 114th Congress (2015-2016): Access for Sportfishing Act of 2016

Article about the bill: Bill that would ban SCUBA divers from feeding sharks in U.S. waters introduced in Congress

Bill that would ban SCUBA divers from feeding sharks in U.S. waters introduced in Congress
Some SCUBA diving operators use bait or chum to attract sharks so that their customers can get an up close and personal encounter. A new bill that would make this practice illegal in all U.S. waters has just been introduced into Congress. Section 3 of S. 3099, the “Access for Sportfishing Act of 2016,” contains the following provision:

“it is unlawful for any person—

“(1) to engage in shark feeding; or

“(2) to operate a vessel for the purpose of carrying a passenger for hire to any site to engage in shark feeding or to observe shark feeding…

…The term ‘shark feeding’ means the introduction of food or any other substance into the water to feed or attract sharks for any purpose other than to harvest sharks.”

There may be a better section of scubaboard to post this, but I couldn't figure out what it was. The special rules around the basic forum seemed likely problematic for this discussion as well.

Soooo, you can attract them to kill them but not to look at them?
Saying that I don't know enough to comment, but I will anyway. I just don't think its the best idea to associate divers with food. But I see the attraction in easily being able to observe them.

Soooo, you can attract them to kill them but not to look at them?

Not exactly. It depends on the species. For example, you can't just go and harvest a tiger shark. To do that you need a HMS permit (Highly Migratory Species). And some species are outright banned from being harvested.

Some may not like this, but I want sharks afraid of humans and not associated with a meal. If you want to dive with sharks it seems that it's not that difficult in South Florida during migrations. Or take up spearfishing.

There's anecdotal evidence of shark feeding and attacks. Specifically a summer in the Red Sea several years ago, which I believe the practice has since been banned. In Florida, we know what happens with all large predators (bears, alligators) when people feed them and to think a shark would be any different is naive, IMO.

Here are the rules on different shark species.
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/hms/species/sharks/shark_id_placard.pdf

And more information on the NOAA issuing HMS permits.
https://hmspermits.noaa.gov

I've been shark diving in the Bahamas many times over the past 25 years and I don't recall ever hearing that they have a problem with sharks coming after humans thinking that they're food.

Is there much shark feeding within the US? I have heard of it in various diving destinations, but never in the US.

Down in southeastern Florida, out of Jupiter, Randy Jordan has an operation, Emerald Dive Charters, that does shark feed dives. I've heard others do some, too; I don't know those details. Florida state law prohibits shark feeding, so it's to be done at least 3 miles off the coast.

It's there for those who want it, and nobody's making anyone who doesn't want it go.

Richard.

Shark feeding dives take place in FL. They just go outside of state waters, which is 3 miles out. Seems to me this would make it necessary to go 12 miles out.

Is there much shark feeding within the US? I have heard of it in various diving destinations, but never in the US.
Apparently enough that someone talked a senator into sponsoring this bill. I used to be strongly against the practice, but after talking to some folks in another thread I can't decide how I feel about it.

Back
Top Bottom