Thermo or XSscuba Manifold???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

Is there any difference other than the dip valve; XS has the hex design for removal where as Thermo requires pliars?

I want to get doubles and own Thermo valves on my single 100 Hp Worthingtons... The valves are great, but the XS scuba manifolds are new and I would like some feedback before I make my choice...

Anyone?

Thanks,

Mike G

I bought an XS rotating crossbar manifold on ebay recently, haven't used it yet but build and finish quality seems good

The things I liked (compared to the Thermo manifold it's copied from) were (in no particular order):

1. The hex key dip tubes as you mentioned

2. Crush washers replaced with o rings

3. Stainless valve stems instead of brass

4. 1 1/2 turn valves (this is a topic of debate for some people)

All of the above said to me that someone had put some thought into the reverse engineering process rather than just making a cheap(er) copy

The price was also good (it was new) but not a major factor for me

I've spoken to a couple of people here that have used them and they're happy, but always interested to hear anyone else's thoughts

Tortuga,

Thanks for your reply, all was noted... Any other satisfied divers, diving the XS scuba manifold?

The one I bought didn't have the red/green indicator on it... since my previous post, I used it on a number of dives, did a few valve sutdown drills and really liked the quick valves (I wasn't doing overhead so no worries about rolling the valve off accidentally)

Unfortunately I loaned my doubles to someone who shall remains nameless /cough Corey /cough, and they dropped them, damaging the manifold :censored:

I ordered a replacement one, and it came with the red/green indicators (which caused a lot of debate in the shop about how visible the red would be underwater). I've only used the new manifold on a couple of dives, so can't comment on the longevity but the design is simple enough - the green is fixed in place and the red drops down over it as you close the valve

TBH I was quite happy with the first set without the indicators, but I can see some value if you're teaching someone to do valve shutdown drills (although personally I would still manually check the valves myself after the drill was completed - and before jumping in the water for that matter)

I also have a Halcyon manifold now, which I use for overhead - but I do miss the quick valves of the XS manifold during shutdowns

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom