Things your dive buddies do that get on your nerves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have the same troubleof kitting up too slowly.

Another trouble would be that i would hug the sea bed too closely that i tend to wander off by myself and my buddy would have to come and drag me back on course using my tank valve.

I hate the cluster****** diving...the world is covered with 70% of water(okay maybe less after all those land reclaimation) and everyone has just had to squeeze in on that little spot i m diving in

My biggest pet peeve is the topside behavior of some divers. As Rick mentioned, the ones who talk non-stop drive me nuts!

They have done it all and seen it all...and they feel the need to tell all of us about it. They are SO clueless that they don't even see the numerous eyerolls and smirks that happen as they continue to chatter.

Things that drive me crazy? A dive buddy who dives, as a friend of mine puts it, "DFA" (Death from Above). You know -- The person who stays behind and above you, where you can't POSSIBLY see them? I go completely bonkers after a while, doing helicopter turns to try to find them, and eventually spotting them above me.

Another thing is people who use lights on lanyards, and let them hang when they want to do something with both hands. The light spins and creates all kinds of spurious signals. I jump, get ready to deploy a reg or solve a problem, and it's nothing . . . just an unattended light.

But probably the thing that makes me the craziest is silting. Stopping to look at something, and having it disappear because my buddy has swum over to look at it and we are now in a silt cloud.

I'm sure I have personal habits that are equally irritating, but because they're mine, I don't know what they are :)

WOW, I actually have a buddy that has done all of the above on one dive. The DFA is actually the one that tears me a new one though. I've told him about it till I'm sick of it. I will have to say he is getting lower to me and not as far behind, so it may just be a comfort thing with him.

I have a few pet peeves-

1) trying to talk underwater- I need two signals to have a good dive- OK and the thumb. If you want to use more, have at it, but don't try to talk to me underwater through your regulator.

2) standing on the bottom- this really kills my kharma. I'm usually cruising along, enjoying the weightless underwater world, and when I see people standing on the bottom, it's like they are slapping me in the face and waking me up from the diving dream.

My dive buddy is a good friend of mine. We've done all of our training together and logged pretty much all the same dives. He tends to drive me nuts though. He's like a little kid underwater. He can't relax. He's constantly all over the place. Up 5 feet down 5 feet, off to my left 20 yards off to my right 20 yards. He has good bouyancy control, he just can't stay still. He's always going to check something out. Whether it's lifting a rock to see what's under it, or doing some swim thru without letting me know. I tell him he drives me nuts, he apologizes and says he'll try to stop doing it, but time and time again he wanders off.

One time on a Christmas tree lighting night dive, he wandered off, our silly butts left our tank markers at home but still decided to dive. There were so many people on this dive it took me 2 minutes to find him. I kept swimming up to random people to see if it was him. It all ended well, so no harm done, but he got a little bit of a butt chewing back on the boat.

HE BREATHES. It's driving me nuts. A constant "in" and "out". It never stops. Everytime I look at him, there he is doing it again. I've talked to him about it til I'm blue in the face, but he just sits there,... breathing.

HE BREATHES. It's driving me nuts. A constant "in" and "out". It never stops. Everytime I look at him, there he is doing it again. I've talked to him about it til I'm blue in the face, but he just sits there,... breathing.

:rofl3:

I have a few pet peeves-

2) standing on the bottom- this really kills my kharma. I'm usually cruising along, enjoying the weightless underwater world, and when I see people standing on the bottom, it's like they are slapping me in the face and waking me up from the diving dream.

I suppose you wouldn't like to dive with this woman. This was in a liveaboard, she wasn't my buddy so I don't know how often she did this

Attachments

• 2006-05-03 Dead Grouper 008.jpg
    2006-05-03 Dead Grouper 008.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 270
Do any of you have dive buddies who do things that just drive you crazy?

Nope. Wish I did. Tried to train my spouse. No go - big time crossover between fear of heights and fear of diving. Bolted for the surface on the first OW check-out dive - on the Great Barrier Reef - how can you not be distracted by all that life!

Trained my daughter. She's certified. Loved the Discover Scuba dives in Cozumel before her OW certification was complete. No matter how hard I beg...Course, I haven't offered her much more than the C_O_L_D quarries around here. Darn. Can't even fool her into thinking they are toasty. She knows better - since that's where she did her check-out dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom