Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recently found another pair of earring in the pool classes. I am helping out the instructors who tech the class at the college I go to. I got certified through them, and now I am helping them. Well in one of the classes I was working with a girl and we found a pair of earrings including a back for one of them in the bottom of the pool. Not sure what they are made of, and I doubt any kind of good material, but I kept them and added them to the stuff I found in the pool pile. Still waiting to find something actually good though.

Paint

Found a cheapo oval mask and a very large tube snorkel the other day off Key West...most likely dropped off one of the many snorkeling vessels..come to think of it, we found a mask just like it a few years back when we were down here!

I took it back on the boat with me, handed it to the guy helping us get back on the boat and saidd "here, have some reef junk!" (I felt like I was doing a service cleaning up the garbage!)

A lot of junk...

Up to the point I got myself an underwater metal detector, since then:

- 1x diving lamp. This was the reason for getting a metal detector as a local instructor (and friend) lost his lamp during class in the cold murky water of a lake. Found at 23m, viz >1m. whole operation took 7 dives over 2 weeks. :)

- 1x golden watch
- 1x G-shock wach (still working)
- 1x bracelet (silver)
- 1x pair of sunglasses
- coins ( mostly €s)
- 9 kgs of lead

- a LOT of metal junk! :)

Still looking for the mother-load though.

Found an old "deep sea" fin and a cheap snorkel on recent dive in Puerto Rico....When you find things like these do most of you bring them up? Was wondering as am a new diver. I felt like bringing it up/like it didn't belong there/garbage, but the guide I was with left it, didn't seem to care....??? Just curious.

Maggiemay,
You have stumbled onto a very interesting question. Bring it up or leave it? If the object you found has enclosed spaces, snorkle, foot pocket on a fin or anything enclosed, it more then likely has something living in it. What would I do? Well if it is a cheap ass snorkle I'd leave it. A gold goblet from a Spanish treasure ship.....screw it it is coming with me! Seriously give a thought to what may be living in what ever you bring to the top. If you find the afore mentioned goblet, hide it very well, make a map and send it to me. I will be sure that it is properly recycled!

Joe

Back in 1999 I was diving at an old cannery site where I had collected old antique bottles in the past. I started looking in an area I had previously looked in before and with in minutes or two I found an old heavy tea pot. It was inside a broken spittone upside down and not covered in silt. I guess the week before there was a storm and it uncovered thick sediment that had previously covered the entire area. With a bit of investigation it turns out to be a boat Captains personal teapot from the 1840-1860 era. It is solid sterling silver with ivory insets in the handle. The neat thing about this pot is the small 2.5" knife concealed in the handle. What the heck would you use that for? The initial on the pot is the letter "D". I lightly cleaned it with baking soda and warm water, otherwise it looks like I found it. Thats about all know about it. My wife wants to bring it to the Antique Roadshow next time they are in the area.

For now my kids put their chicken egg money in it when they sell their eggs to the niegbors. :D

DSC00085.jpg

DSC00086.jpg

Cheers,

Very cool find!

Can you get a better pic of the silver marks or try to describe them? That is a unique tea pot and may be worth a surprising amount of money. Just looking at the workmanship I would guess in the $2500 range if it doesn't have any damage. I may be lowballing the price it could be worth considerably more. Whatever you do DON'T POLISH IT(yet) because many collectors prefer the natural toning that only happens to silver over many years. Nice find!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom