Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving the Rivers of SC for the past 25 years for Fossils and Artifacts has been great, but you can also find some unusual items down there. I have swam across a golf cart, washing machine, cash register, new paper dispenser, and even ladies bra and panties. You just never know!

Lmao awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LAST DIVE OF 2012
Hours before we were hit with a nasty Noreaster the Zodiacdivers were hitting the water, the tide was running good and strong due to the full moon that was out the night before. The wind was fresh out of the north-north-west and the air temperature was still below freezing by a few degrees. With the tide ebbing and the wind adding to the surface current it was not an easy swim to make it to my surface buoy after rolling out of the boat about 20 yards down current from it. I lay on the surface for at least ten minutes trying to catch my breath as the tide carried me south, under one of the suspension bridges that span the waters between Halifax and Dartmouth. As I prepared to descend into the murky water, one of the other divers was being recovered after he got up in his SMB line and then was carried off into the forbidden areas of the Navy dockyards. The visibility was a only around 6 feet, the only saving grace was that the sun would peek out from the clouds every now and then and add an extra few feet of visibility from time to time. Despite the conditions 3 of us managed to make it down the 80 ft or more to the bottom of the Halifax harbour to search for the discarded relics of sailors from long ago.

The finds were few but among them there were a few nice keepers, I am pleased to report that I got the best 2 pieces of the lot. A nice crockery bottle and a Blob Top, embossed Soda Water bottle. I also brought up a 50 Caliber casing a clay pipe plus a bowl and a few other nice bottles. Not too bad I must say.

Have a great 2013, and remember, "TODAY'S THE DAY"
ZDD

I found all of these while diving

29106149.jpg

Spent some time yesterday making dive weights out of the pile above.

602905_916489860169_1289204796_n.jpg

Lots of junk but the most interesting was some larger bundles of plastic-wrapped marijuana. This was in the early 80's while diving off Cayman Diver somewhere near Georgetown. Looked at it..showed it to dive buddy and left it.

Lots of junk but the most interesting was some larger bundles of plastic-wrapped marijuana. This was in the early 80's while diving off Cayman Diver somewhere near Georgetown. Looked at it..showed it to dive buddy and left it.
Sure................ I bet you left it there. Dude it was the 80s. LOL, Just messing with ya:D.
ZDD

I thought I had posted this up but I guess I didn't. We had a break in the cold weather a couple of weeks ago (just to let you know the cold doesn't stop the divers it freezes up the boat motors and water pump impellers, were not wimps you know) so we hit the water for another Harbour grub dive and we did good. Bob scored another Westerwald jug, Circa 1700-1760 and we got a few other nice keepers as well.
ZDD:D

Dave, Superman does good. You did well. :)

What is the rule on bringing stuff like this up? Are you supposed to log where it came from or report it to anyone?

RULES what rules, I thought they were just mere guidlines. All kidding aside where I live there are no regulations regarding recovery of lost or discarded items into the water. There use to be regulations regarding recovered shipwreck items, they had to be filed with the Receiver of Wrecks but now there is absolutly no salvage of shipwrecks allowed other then the most recent wrecks. All existing salvage permits were revoked. It seems that the powers to be believe that these wrecks will be much better preserved by the North Atlantic then by conservationists or collectors. And the cargo like copper, brass, lead and tin, as well as the gold and silver that may be on board is better left in the water.
I guess it is a matter of opinion, I don't agree with it but I don't make the rules.
The next step for them is to protect the wrecksites from diver damage by banning all diving in known wreck areas.
GRRRRRRR
ZDD

Students masks, fins, snorkels, and weights. Fishing rods, piff helmet, rock climbing helmet, 6 cell phones, best was an 1800's boys wing shoe in 45fsw just resting upright in the mud bottom, my "buddy" was doing a photo advanced dive with my camera and I could not get his attention, so no pic. After I retrieved my camera I could not find the shoe again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom