Think I Bottomed Out at 300' on OC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Well kids, I just did a 300' dive, and I think that's about the bottom for me on OC. All that gas, all those bottles to haul around for such a short bottom time... For me, I think I hit the effort/return/risk limit. I don't know if a RB is in my future, and you still need to carry bailout, but it seems that anything deeper just isn't for me unless something changes.

I'd be interested to know if anyone is doing regular dives beyond 300' (non-commercial), and if so, on OC or RB?

Rick..... these are very 'formal' affairs for sure.

Take a grip of yourself.....all that pressure from the 'dark side' clan on your recent trip to NY may have had damaging effects.....seek intervention!

Not sure what you are seeking in this thread.....PM sent......... :)

We all have our own risk/reward limit, based on our individual parameters. The trend I have experienced is more RB doing the sub 300' dives than OC. For sub 300' dives the Carl D. Bradley is the common target here in the Great Lakes (320-380')

200 ft is my limit on OC and I don't even dive those depths any more. Of course I was on air and you are using more technical mixes. Too little bottom time for filming down there. No thoughts of getting a rebreather for me... I'd buy a "new" car first!

We all have our own risk/reward limit, based on our individual parameters. The trend I have experienced is more RB doing the sub 300' dives than OC. For sub 300' dives the Carl D. Bradley is the common target here in the Great Lakes (320-380')

dab, have you had the opt. to be on a dive team expedition to this site.....I would enjoy a link to your teams efforts and experiences/photos/info.. Thanks... AK

dab, have you had the opt. to be on a dive team expedition to this site.....I would enjoy a link to your teams efforts and experiences/photos/info.. Thanks... AK

I did some support work when the bell was removed (all were diving CCR)and replaced with one commerating those crew members who lost their lives. I haven't been on the Bradley myself, but intend to soon, and it with be on CCR. There are no written reports that I'm aware of that delve into the logistics involved. I have been told that there may be something published in ADM or Wreck Diving Magazine on the bell removal, but I don't know for sure. I can put you in touch with someone who has put these trips together and also sells some phenomenal video footage if you are interested. The wreck is a pinnacle dive, if it falls into ones risk/reward criteria.

I did some support work when the bell was removed (all were diving CCR)and replaced with one commerating those crew members who lost their lives. I haven't been on the Bradley myself, but intend to soon, and it with be on CCR. There are no written reports that I'm aware of that delve into the logistics involved. I have been told that there may be something published in ADM or Wreck Diving Magazine on the bell removal, but I don't know for sure. I can put you in touch with someone who has put these trips together and also sells some phenomenal video footage if you are interested. The wreck is a pinnacle dive, if it falls into ones risk/reward criteria.

Thanks for your reply....if you could drop me a PM with that follow-up persons info.. Good luck in your prep for a future drop,,,,,and 'pinnacle' to say the least! :wink:

Take a grip of yourself.....all that pressure from the 'dark side' clan on your recent trip to NY may have had damaging effects.....seek intervention!
Actually, RB's are not in the cards for me. I've told so many horror stories to my wife in the past about RB's..that won't happen!:no:

Thanks for the PM.

Actually, RB's are not in the cards for me. I've told so many horror stories to my wife in the past about RB's..that won't happen!:no:

Thanks for the PM.

Our visits are always a pleasure Rick....take care. :)

I can think of a few people going past 300'. And they/we were all on CCRs. But with the time spent for deco, there better be some NTIs down there to see. Or a good movie on the trip back up.

If you do dives to that depth regularly, you might end up going CCR just to same money and time filling those tanks. If you're bailout isn't used, you're gas obligation is to top off an O2 tank and a trimix tank. Tanks will likely be 13 to 20 cu ft in size each and very unlikely :shocked2: to be empty after the dive. A lot easier to fill than double 100's w/ hang bottles. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom