Think I found a Halibut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VooDooGasMan

Contributor
Reaction score
As I have searched for these guys, I came upon one DSC04910.JPGI spent a few minutes looking at this guy, When I came across him I reached for my knife, Cause you can get big sole with a knife as I was ready I noticed it looked a bit different, maybe I'm wrong, but none the less I got camera out batt was dead but enough to get a shot or two.DSC04911.JPGwhen the season opens I'll hit my new secret spot.

Happy Diving

Sure looks like a flounder to me, but I'm no flat fish expert. I'd guess that you need to consult your local game laws, as one is (usually) a sport fish, and one is fished in a non-sporting way.

They spear them in Alaska, Cal, and new of Some spero's that had no luck last year, so It might be leagal, I'm sure I will find out before season, chances of seeing it again is slim.

Wookie if it is a flounder, its the thickest one I have seen, thats why I almost got him for breakfast.

Happy Diving

I use to take people out deep sea fishing up in Alaska many moons ago and yes, that is a Halibut but hard to tell how big without something to give it perspective... These bad boys can get to 450+ lbs and yes they do look like Flounders... just really big ones!

Can't say that I agree with sticking a knife in one of them but that's another debate in itself... Chick Halibuts are small and should be left for another day but those that run @ 80lbs +/- make for some good eating!

Iso, thanx, I new it with huge mouth and eyes, Also after I left it I was thinking it might be a bit of a fight, Only 16" long 8" wide, not big, but must be more around, in the sand where I have looked before never seen, I would say the color was matching the rocks, if halibut camo themselves.

Any ways I am taking twins in morning and will scout out, Ill start at 175' and maintain at 140', then 120, and deco for the remainder.

By the way I found the use for that submersible glock, self defense from a 80# + halibut.

Happy Diving

By the way I found the use for that submersible glock, self defense from a 80# + halibut.

Happy Diving

Maybe defense for that 450 lb halibut....

Glad someone was able to identify it for you. We don't see too many of them down here in the Keys. Does anyone know if halibut and flounder are in the same family?

The Family of flat fish are broken down into right eye "Pleuronectidae" and left eye "Paralichthyidae". It really depands on what type of Flounder and Halibut since there is species on both sides.

Im not a Biology Major but I do fish a lot, my interests lie on the Geology side, Paleoclimate, and of course cold water diving in Alaska.

The search was, well a long great dive, vis was better so I had a little light deeper, at 130' I could see well enough to maybe catch a glimpse, yet not a single halibut. I hung on to my inflatable and was going quickly across the bottom for a slack tide. I seen a barge in tow, so I only had 50 mins before I knew he would be getting close, once I herd it I started deco.

Next time I'll start at 120' and go to 80' then 60'. The cruise ships are not what I want to deal with over the week end, so next week it is.

Happy Diving

The Family of flat fish are broken down into right eye "Pleuronectidae" and left eye "Paralichthyidae". It really depands on what type of Flounder and Halibut since there is species on both sides.

Im not a Biology Major but I do fish a lot, my interests lie on the Geology side, Paleoclimate, and of course cold water diving in Alaska.

Its a right eye fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom