Think You've Got Problems??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ann Marie

be happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
WARNING: Not For The Weak

Think you’ve got problems?

Well, here’s my current problem.

637820561_6SDqB-M.jpg

I have several saltwater fish tanks at home. One night, about 6 months ago I found this thing. It’s called a Bobbitt Worm and you don’t want them in your tank. I was able to get a photo of it before it hid again. That is a shrimp molt near it’s head and the shrimp is about 2 inches long.

I'm guessing this thing is anywhere between 2 - 4 feet (FEET!) long. So, I’ve tried traps. No luck. I haven’t even seen it again. I know you’re wondering; well, how do you know if you still have it? I know because something keeps eating my soft corals. I go to sleep at night and everyone is healthy and happy. In the morning, something is either gone or half eaten.

This blows.

So, this weekend I’m going to take that tank apart. I’m going to take everything in it and move things into different buckets with salt water and water movement. It’s going to be a mess and will probably stress things out. I’m going to look for the worm but they tend to eat (yes, I said EAT) into rocks to make a little nest. I’ll probably have to dip all of my rock into salt water that has higher than normal salt content. Hopefully, it’ll get angry and come out of its hole.

I’m going to wear a pair of my Kevlar dive gloves when looking for this monster. Heck, I think I'm going to wear them under a pair of leather gloves!

Wish me luck.

Anyone want to come over to help????

I'll update this thread as things happen later this weekend...

I feel your pain - We also have Saltwater tanks and had an infestation of bristle worms, we are still trying to get them all in-spite of salt soaks and tank break downs.

Good luck - and dont forget your gloves :)

Have you checked UNDER the tanks?

alien2.jpg

Well what's under my tank, isn't eating my corals yet so it can stay! :)

so um at the risk of sounding dumb, not to tough I know, how does one of these wonderful critters make its way into your tank?

Ann Marie, If I warned you once I've warned you a 100x about splicing the DNA of the stuff you find in the bottom of your dive box after a trip to Cabo. Now you have unleashed a real monster!

or this:

Vile isn't it.

The rock I have in my tank is actual rubble from the ocean so it probably came in as a little thing on that.

Sting, no I don't think so. Bite, OH YEAH! They bore into rock with their jaws!

If I thought I could afford to have someone come out and get it for me, I would! One look at the picture and I think that the price would go to more than I could afford.

I've let it go for 6 months because I didn't want to deal with it. But coral is expensive! I'm tired of it eating what I'm buying for MY enjoyment!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom