Thinking about Barbados. Any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ice9

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We are looking at staying at the Mango Bay resort in Holetown, and using West Side Scuba as a diveop. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

Also looking for any recommendations regarding hotel/diveop. Thanks!

I don't really have any advice for you since I have never been there but I thought I’d mention that I am traveling there in October. I’m staying at the Hilton (using points) and diving with Barbados Blue since they have a shop at the resort.

I don’t plan to do too much research before the trip… I just want to relax on the beach and dive a few days.

Good luck.

Ice9:
We are looking at staying at the Mango Bay resort in Holetown, and using West Side Scuba as a diveop. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

Also looking for any recommendations regarding hotel/diveop. Thanks!

Ice...I am about to make my 4th trip down to Barbados on the 1st of Sept. I will be there 23 days...so come on down if you can then.

I stay at the Sea Foam Haciendas. I dive mostly with John Moore of Dive Barbados LTD....has web site.

I have a Barbados 2005 and Barbados 2006 trip report on here somewhere....give a search and see if you can find them.

You should also consider diving Carlisle Bay as it is a great shore dive with 8 wrecks in a row. Park at the blue. pavilion.

Folkestone Park is another shore dive but be very careful of the boats.....there are no boats allowed Carlisle Bay dive area.

Be sure to go to Oistins one Friday night for the fish fry. There is also one up in Moon but I havent been there yet...but will this trip.

Also, do a cat day tour.....lots of fun. I recommend the Tiami. Look up Tall Ships Cruises Barbados on Google and you can get all the info.

Rent a car as it is so easy to drive around the island. Just remember, British rules.

The Plantation Roots and Rythym Review is fun too.

Yell if you have any other questions. Like I said...will be there between 1st and 23rd Sept. YOU??

Hi
I live and dive in Barbados, i do not work for any of the companies but i always rec Hightide Watersports to people. You can get their info at www.divehightide.com
Mango Bay was refurbished 18 mts ago and is a nice hotel but tends to cater for the older guest!
Hightide are just up the road at Coral Reef Club have you looked at that? it may be more pricey but its one of the best on the west coast

I will be going to Barbados on Aug. 29, as a cruise ship port stop.

I inquired with many dive ops for dive/snorkel combo trip for myself diving and my wife and friends snorkeling. I've settled to book with Peter of West Side Scuba. He responds fast, and there were positive reviews of people having used him.

After my trip I'll write up a review.

I was there in June and stayed at Colony Club in Holetown. I dove with High Tide and Dive Barbados and prefer Dive Barbados small boat (vs. cattle boat) and not timed dives. The diving is very good with excellent reefs and critters. The reef are somewhat deep so nitrox would get you better bottom times. Here's some pictures.

http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/23830/323979.html?1183980714

sweetcalypso....maybe we can get a dive or two in together. One more other SB member will be there from the 1st to the 15th.

We may be able to hold the first Barbados SB get together!!! Yea !!

Thanks for the info all! Rich, we are still in the planning stage so I don't know if we'll be out there at the same time. But if so, hell ya! :D

How is the food/drink prices out there?

Food and drink prices vary from expensive to ridiculous. Also do not forget your long pants and collared shirts if you want to get in any restraurants at night. It is very good food but not cheap.

Just returned from a Caribbean cruise in which we had four diving excursions booked. The only let down was West Side Scuba in Barbados. They lost our reservation, thereby not being at the dock to pick us up. After taking a cab to the shop, we sat around with the other prospective divers for nearly two hours. Turns out they couldn't get the boat started. Dive cancelled.
We enjoyed Dive Fair Helen in St. Lucia and Nature Island Dive in Dominica. The op we enjoyed the most (though the diving was not on par with St. Lucia or Dominica) was Admiralty Dive Center in St. Thomas.
Have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom