Thinking about Barbados. Any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is no particular order...

* Weather - It was middle of October (hurricane season) but we were smiled upon by the weather gods. Sun for 7 of 8 days. And even the cloudy day was nice.

* Traveling - We rented a car. That is a must to see the island. You WILL GET LOST. I like to think of myself as a very good driver and maybe even a better navigator. We got so lost. The maps suck and the roads are not marked. What you think is the main road you are on just changed and you had no idea. This got quite annoying until you get a feel for the maps and roads. But you will still get lost. Just fess up to it and don't lose your head about it.

The flower cave up on the north shore was great. The views were incredible!

* Diving - We dove with John Moore. I was very dissapointed here. I heard nothing but great things about this dive op. We went with him for the small atmosphere otherwise I could have saved some money going with another dive op. But we ended up going out on another dive op's boat with John as the dive master. Diving with 8-10 more people. Amazing how small the ocean gets with that many people, isn't it?

We were forced to abort a couple of dives. My better half/dive buddy just wasn't feeling well. But since we booked x number of dives, that is what we are paying. We didn't even dive half the amount we paid for. I understand why he still had to charge us but he also said he wouldn't have had any work for the day since we canceled. This was a lie because he was the dive master for another dive op. A little double dipping here. You're gonna charge me? Okay. Don't insult my intelligence though.
We booked twelve dives (6 for me/6 for her). We dove 3 total. Paid for twelve. Thanks for the break there John.

* Food - Mainly ate all over the St. Lawarence Gap. A lot of nice places there.

Note: I took a while to write this because I was pretty pissed about the diving. I don't want to get into a bashing here. Just stating my acutal happenings.

We just got back for Barbados. Interesting though... some really good stuff and actually some disappointing things. I will do a write up when time becomes available.

Looking forward to reading it. Know about the lack of time!
Edit: Just did read it. Thanks for the tips. We're thinking of going next summer and just starting to search around for ops and lodging.
TEdJ

Jeeze, I completely forgot about where we stayed! It was the Bougainvillea Resort on the south shore. We were very happy there.

Nice beach, pools, really liked the room.
AC really didn't work too well but with ceiling fans it was no problem.
Close to the airport (maybe 7-10 miles) and near the St. Lawrence Gap (2 miles or so).

We got our flight & hotel through cheapcaribbean.com.

citykid....really sorry to hear about your experiences. Kind of like eating at a great place for years and when you take a friend they serve cold poo.

I do appreciate you not getting into bashing.

I dove there on my just recent 4th trip and enjoyed it.

Hopefully you will get another chance to go back and give some things a second try. Take care.

RICHinNC,

My wife and I love shore diving. We don't have to watch our time(we tend to stay down over an hour on most dives) or deal with boat schedules.
Would you say there is enough shore diving to keep you busy there, or would you need to split it up with some boat diving?

There is shore snorkling, but no shore diving. No one will rent you tanks. Carlile Bay is a great dive. Snorkling or diving. Something like seven wrecks in a tight circle 100 yards off shore. But RichinNC had a very good relationship with one dive op, we are just regular people. I wouldn't bet on getting tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom