Thinking about Saba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

actually, weatherwise its awesome in september, but of course it is hurricane season-so it can be total opposite. christams/new years is normally very busy, many people.... how about october? sea&learn programm is happening, just google and check it out.

Thank you for this thread. I am thinking to go to Saba as well, perhaps I will combine it with St. Maarten to celebrate New Year then go to Saba afterwards. Is January also very busy in Saba? I have read about humpback whale sightings in Saba during January..is it better in early January or late January for the chance to see the whales?

Thank you for this thread. I am thinking to go to Saba as well, perhaps I will combine it with St. Maarten to celebrate New Year then go to Saba afterwards. Is January also very busy in Saba? I have read about humpback whale sightings in Saba during January..is it better in early January or late January for the chance to see the whales?

Just be aware that diving in St Maarten is nothing like diving in Saba. In two weeks on St Maarten I did three dives, on Saba in 3 days 9 dives. Just wasn't worth spending the $ on St Maarten to dive some pretty mediocre spots IMHO.

The first week of January is usually still busy, there after a little less. Whale sightings are normally happening from January through march, but of course-no guarantee;-) (But last ones just seen yesterday!)

I have been there many times, Saba Deep does an excellent job, very safe dive operation.
Some times the currents are pretty strong on the deep dives so you want a operation that will not put you in the water when they occur.
Fly into St. Maarten and take the "Edge" boat to Saba it brings you to the marina where the dives shops are.
Airport is scary and a long drive.

Saba is probably my favorite island in all the Caribbean. The diving is great, but the island, with the Tropical Birds and the lush verdant jungle is simply exceptional. I went there on an Explorer Venture Liveaboard, so I didn't get to spend enough time on the island. I'll go back one day.

Back
Top Bottom