Thinking about upgrading - need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Byte Me

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My current rig is an Oly SP-350, oly housing, Inon UWL 105ad, Inon lens adaptor, Inon D2000 strobe & arm.

I'm just OK with this setup, and yes, I should work more on technique. Above the water I've got a D300 so I'm good with manual mode and adjustments. Always shoot RAW, etc.

A friend I dove with earlier this year has an S90 in Canon housing and his shots were killing mine. I'd go that (G11 or S95) route but, especially in the Canon housing, can't do wide angle and it's a kludge to attach fiber for the strobe. I know I can get the FIX or Ike housing for one of those, albeit they're pricey.

Is there anything out there which does good low light photo, shoots RAW, does some level of HD Video and would potentially allow me to use the UWL 105 and easily use the D2000?

I don't want to start over and I don't think I want to invest in a housing for the D300.

Any other suggestions?

Talk to Nemrod. He uses a higher end housing that accepts wet mount lenses.

The G12 and the S95 have HD video.

I just made a similar comment in a different thread, but you might want to give more thought to housing your D300. It's expensive and bulky once you add the flashes and stuff, but it's also really awesome to be able to shoot underwater with a DSLR. I didn't have one when I started shooting underwater and spent a decent (but much smaller) amount of money adding strobes and wet lenses to my P&S before switching. It was fun, but I also could have just made the switch earlier and maybe been better off.

For less than the cost of a DSLR housing, you could purchase an Olympus PEN E-PL1 micro four thirds camera (524 amazon) and an Olympus PT-EP01 housing (479 amazon and made by sea&sea).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom