Thinking about visiting Komodo for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rbahr

Contributor
Reaction score
and have a couple of questions.

To begin with: We have been to Indonesia several times including Lembeh and Raja Ampat. We are now considering Komodo. We don't mind current, and really want a great experience. Is this best done by livaboard (tough on my wife due to motion sickness depending on the boat,, but has been succesful). Is there 'better' diving in other location in the general vicinity?

Thanks

Ray

I have only done komodo by LOB.
Seems like the best way to dive it to me.
Komodo is one of my favorite dive destinations. It's sensory overload.
Get your wife to try scopolamine if she hasn't tried it for sea sickness.
Go, don't hesitate.

Dived Komodo for 10 days both land based and then three nights on a LOB in September 2016.
The diving is amazing but the LOB was a better experience, less hassles each day with gear, getting to and from the dive operator, waiting for late divers to turn up and complete paperwork etc etc.
LOB gets you into the water much earlier in the day, great bunch of people to share the experience with and even boat staff to wash and hang up your gear!
Water was very calm in September (but ripping currents on some sites!), not much motion... I don't think your wife would have a problem.

Just ended my usually frustratîng annual dive experience in Komodo but for once I think i came up with the appropriate op for me ( i'm a photographer don't like crowds am accompanied with non diving wife not interested in Lob)
so for once I have a landbased opérator to recommand one that is providing both accoms & diving and also based in Labuan bajo city center which mean restaurants close by unlike the ones based on the islands.

I stayed and dived with Dragon Dive Komodo (DDK) it's a newly open french operator .
Pros :
Nice open air grounds around a deck surroundong a pool where everybody chills on sofas a beer in hand. Lovely paintings on the walls around It's a place with their own mood.
Caters both to backpackers with dorms and couples with 2 comfortable rooms with aircon
Live music every other day.
They have a small speedboat for experienced divers ( not more than 4) that leaves early at 7:30 and brings you in 25 minutes in central Komodo. There is another big and slower boat for scheduled dives.
So you are in the water before everybody élse and back at the resort at 2:30 PM.
Manu the dive manager is flexible on requests also It's a french dive center they are a lttle more daring and adventurous in the dives.

Cons :
Can be noisy at night until midnight
They're new : glitches happen but they're happy to try and do better.
Rooms are on the expensive side (1200 kidr) only 2 available but if you are a family you can book a 6 bed room too.
On the diving side I don't see any cons.

A liveaboard makes diving so much easier (IMHO). Short travel times to/from dive sites gives you more time to spend with you wife. Once you're finished the dive, come back to the boat, rinse off and enjoy the view while relaxing and having a meal (or whatever you choose to do to pass the time until the next dive). While you are diving, often times the LOB can take your wife to the beach, snorkelling or trekking nearby. Plus we can reach so many more dive spots, since we don't have to return home each day.

Has your wife tried Sea-Band? We have guests that swear by them. I personally take Bonine when I'm expecting a rough crossing. But this has to be done before she feels any motion sickness. Some guests tell me they take it before they get on the plane and continue to take it throughout the trip. We also see many guests wearing transderm patches. Again they put it on well before any travel, to keep all symptoms at bay.

We'd love to have you aboard. Adelaar liveaboard is a steel hulled 120' schooner that has been sailing Komodo for over 20 years. She holds 8 guests with a 4:1 dive ratio. For more information contact info@adelaar-cruises.com.

Whoever you go with have an amazing time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom