Thinking of Solo with DPV to get to reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, they look very close to the inflatable speargun floats, are they close or is the hard version much better?

Similar in function as an inflatable, but a hard plastic shell will take more abuse (like dragging across the beach for 400 yards as you make your way to the car). I use mine around a bridge that is covered with barnacls (and also in open water) and the hard float seems to take it with no problem, The primary beneft is the ease at which you can pull it.

Similar in function as an inflatable, but a hard plastic shell will take more abuse (like dragging across the beach for 400 yards as you make your way to the car). I use mine around a bridge that is covered with barnacls (and also in open water) and the hard float seems to take it with no problem, The primary beneft is the ease at which you can pull it.

Thanks, sounds like the hard shell is the better deal, thanks.

Mitch

Forget the scooter and just swim. A cheap scooter is just a liability. Two of them are twice the liability.

I swim out to the second and sometimes the third reef. Build up to it by starting with the first reef and go out farther each time. The second reef is only about 15 minutes past the back side of the first reef, or 1 1/2 reef as some call it. Look me up some time and we'll do a solo dive together... :)

Thank you for your response. Are you drifting your dive once you get there or moving around? Part of the reason I'm planning on the go up current and drift back is the currents are predictable and that makes navigation easy without the risk of ending up close to shore but far off from my exit point. I'm guessing at 20 feet it's easier to pop up to check your bearings, but I was hoping to go to the second reef line and didn't want to have to plan for any surface checks.

It's not that big of a deal, just head west, when you get in past the rubble reef,(9-10 ft) surface and take a bearing to your exit point.

Make sure you have a big dive flag, boat size, not one of those handkerchief size flags. If you have to surface you will be in the boat lanes, they tend to follow the color of the reef line north and south. They also troll it. You want big.

Last edited:
Forget the scooter and just swim. A cheap scooter is just a liability. Two of them are twice the liability.

I swim out to the second and sometimes the third reef. Build up to it by starting with the first reef and go out farther each time. The second reef is only about 15 minutes past the back side of the first reef, or 1 1/2 reef as some call it. Look me up some time and we'll do a solo dive together... :)

Sounds good, I'll PM my contact info.

It's not that big of a deal, just head west, when you get in past the rubble reef,(9-10 ft) surface and take a bearing to your exit point.

Make sure you have a big dive flag, boat size, not one of those handkerchief size flags. If you have to surface you will be in the boat lanes, they tend to follow the color of the reef line north and south. They also troll it. You want big.

More good advice, I'm leaning tword the hard float mentioned in an early post for low drag, tough and being able to support a flooded scooter if need, but it's flag is not very big. But, I already have a 10ft SMB with strobe on top that I could inflate if I were coming up and worried about boat traffic. When I get the float I'll see about rigging a bigger flag if it will work or maybe add the strobe to it, for better viewing.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Sounds good, I'll PM my contact info.

More good advice, I'm leaning tword the hard float mentioned in an early post for low drag, tough and being able to support a flooded scooter if need, but it's flag is not very big. But, I already have a 10ft SMB with strobe on top that I could inflate if I were coming up and worried about boat traffic. When I get the float I'll see about rigging a bigger flag if it will work or maybe add the strobe to it, for better viewing.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Remember the law of physics, the bigger the flag the bigger the float, in other words the float has to be in propotion to the size of the flag otherwise the wind and waves combined with the center of gravity of the bigger flag will make it turn to one side and into the water. Good luck with the planning of this dive. Be safe and dive well!

Remember the law of physics, the bigger the flag the bigger the float, in other words the float has to be in propotion to the size of the flag otherwise the wind and waves combined with the center of gravity of the bigger flag will make it turn to one side and into the water. Good luck with the planning of this dive. Be safe and dive well!

Thanks, I haven't gotten the float yet, but I wasn't expecting it to work with a much bigger flag. I'm a bit up in the air still about the flag, part of me wants to just go without a flag and when I reach the end of the dive throw up my 10' SMB with a strobe on top from 20 feet and then surface. Laws aside, I'm not sure the marker isn't a larger liability than asset.

I like the idea of a good float, but my SMB lifts 50# and I could take an extra lift bag if I was really worried about it for far less hastle.

I know all the benefits of using a good marker when you are off a boat or with a group, but if you are under 20 feet the whole time and solo, what is the benefits?

As I initially said, boat traffic is the biggest danger if you are a competant diver. An SMB has almost zero value as diver protection, in fact it WILL draw boaters to it. A dive flag may work. but of course there are no promises when it somes to stupid boaters.

The mako float comes with a full legal size flag with a stiffener. It is self righting and can handle waves.

Thanks, I haven't gotten the float yet, but I wasn't expecting it to work with a much bigger flag. I'm a bit up in the air still about the flag, part of me wants to just go without a flag

Going without a flag is not an option. The marine patrol will give you a ticket. They regularly patrol the beach and will sometimes wait for a diver to come out of the water to check for lobsters.

As I initially said, boat traffic is the biggest danger if you are a competant diver. An SMB has almost zero value as diver protection, in fact it WILL draw boaters to it. A dive flag may work. but of course there are no promises when it somes to stupid boaters.

The mako float comes with a full legal size flag with a stiffener. It is self righting and can handle waves.

Going without a flag is not an option. The marine patrol will give you a ticket. They regularly patrol the beach and will sometimes wait for a diver to come out of the water to check for lobsters.

OK, I'm sold, it's worth the hastle, I'll get one on order before I get the DPV and keep diving with my basic one for now.

Thanks everyone, I'll post back here when the DPV thing happens, still saving for the purchase, but hope to have one by Xmas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom