Thinking of Solo with DPV to get to reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I go out for hours at a time and dive flag drag is a real concern, especially when it's rough. So I'm very particular about my dive flag. Me personally, I would not get an oversized flag or one of those inflatable things either. I prefer the orange torpedo style. The heavier duty float can double as extra floatation in a pinch. With probably 400+ solo shore dives, many if not most to the second reef where the boats are, I've never had any major issues, a few funny stories, but nothing to convince me a larger flag would be worthwhile. However, I've been known to live dangerously. I even clip my flag to my harness, because I'm not swimming around for hours holding on to the flag, based on some whacky notion that a boat will snag the line and drag me thru the water. AFAIK, that has never happened in real life and with basic line management skills that risk, small as it is, is easily eliminated.

Ordered a Torpedo 3500 and the Mako float today. They advertise 3.5mph and 45 minutes, but even if I only get 2mph that's a range of 1.5 miles. If this weather just behaves, I'll be trying this out soon.

Thanks again to everyone who has shared.

I've used mine a few times this way. Went 1/2 mile last time. I only use it as a commuter to get out and back on the surface using a snorkle. I clip it to my float with 2 lanyards. I keep my DPV positive so it floats on its own. Then use the scuba to do the dive. Keep in mind your compass will not work while the DPV is running because of the magnetic field the electric motor creates.

I like the torpedo float a lot. Good idea! A little pricey but priceless on a long swim back.

Went out to Blue Heron today with my new Torpedo 3500 and Mako Float. Very happy with both, vis sucked at about 4 feet, but I got to test my gear. The float is a great find, never experienced something that easy to tow before. Torpedo was also great and it has plenty of power to take me against the strong currents under the bridge.

My intentions are to verify the specs on the scooter next chance I get. Plan is to go off Pompano with my GPS in a couple dry bags and take a reading from shore at my entry point. Shut down the GPS and scooter paralel to shore for 15 minutes, get out, turn on the GPS and take another reading. Then time my return trip and then how much run time after my return. This should give me very realistic expectation of speed and range with me and my kit under real life conditions. I'll share what I find when I get it done.

Thanks, this is getting to the fun part.

I see no problem with the plan. If you are decent in the water, the most dangerous thing by far is getting run over by a boat.

I dive from shore in South Florida and this type of float is EXTREMELY easy to tow due to steamlining (much better than a flag with a float). The hard float is what lifeguards use and has enough bouyancy to support you and a dead scooter for a long swim to shore if that becomes necessary.

I highy recommend this weight and flag option.

MAKO Spearguns - Mako Hawaiian Hard Float

Glad you liked the float! It is amazing how something which has much more floatation then a dive flag can be towed easier than a flag.

If you are considering $$$ on scooters to get you to a dive site, any thoughts on a rigid inflatable boat to motor to your dive site then anchor...

You could hit three forums in one dive if you take up Kayak Solo Side Mount diving :cool2:

Dwayne

If you are considering $$$ on scooters to get you to a dive site, any thoughts on a rigid inflatable boat to motor to your dive site then anchor...

You could hit three forums in one dive if you take up Kayak Solo Side Mount diving :cool2:

Dwayne

I've seriously considered inflatables, but there are several down sides. First is you have to deal with leaving the boat unattended and inflatables can be a pain to get into alone, expecialy small ones and that may not be an option if injured. Next issue is the boat not being there when you come back to it. Hitching to a bouy or anchoring is a must or you could find the little boat dragging you across a reef from the wind, but anchors and bouys are not foolproof and theft is also a risk here in South Florida. Last is because you leave the boat and have to get back to it, If thinks go very wrong and I am injury or tired from swimming in current, I could become seperated from the boat. Nothing that would keep me from trying it, but seems higer risk to me than the DPV.

I think what I came up with using the twin monted Torpedo DPV's is far safer for me. Redundant scooters, never seperated or left unattended and even if injured I can get towed back on the surface. The only adavantage the inflatable would have would be against hypothermia, but not an issue in my tropical area.

Back
Top Bottom