This does not look good

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbf

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
upload_2017-8-17_10-27-12.png

(explicative deleted) Booked 10 days in Roatan June 2018, hope it's still there.

We just returned from a week at Turquoise Bay, Roatan, last Saturday. For a change, our timing was good and we had a wonderful time. I hope that many of the scuba destinations in the potential path are spared. Honduras and Belize do appear to be at great risk in the current prediction.

Crap. We leave for Belize in 2 weeks.

We do too, BAIV on 9/6. I went 2 weeks post Hurricane Earl last year. The folks in Belize had a bad time of it, but bounced back quickly.

As far as the diving, the vis was a little spotty, and the coral had a sand dusting, but we dove the whole 10 days, little wind or rough water.

A hurricane. In the middle of hurricane season.
Really, you know, that's why the rates are lower and trip insurance is sold. PITA but what is to be expected in that place at this time of year.

as of right now the updated forecast is for a tropical storm, not a hurricane. It could, and very likely will, change between now and next week - but that's what trip insurance is for.

Oh wait, you already knew that.

Yes, we were well aware of the risks. We're planning a move down there so we'll go from tornados to hurricanes. Maybe we can settle on a destination with a live volcano next for the trifecta.
I lived in Los Angeles for the 1971 earthquake. I lived in Portand for the 1980 eruption of Mount St Helens. I've not had a tornado or hurricane yet. I do have a home in SE Florida, Hurricane Matthew came pretty close last October.

I lived in Los Angeles for the 1971 earthquake. I lived in Portand for the 1980 eruption of Mount St Helens. I've not had a tornado or hurricane yet. I do have a home in SE Florida, Hurricane Matthew came pretty close last October.
Glad you made it through all that. If you want to rent our house while we're away we might be able to add a tornado to your list. :rain:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom