This gave me the creeps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a cluster. Obviously diving isn’t for everyone. Guess this is why they invented golf. Although I could easily see an episode of “narcolepsy” resulting from a day at the golf course….:wink:

The reason I came across this is I was looking for information on diving this area. I never have and I appreciate you guys sharing insights. I dive quarries most of the time in 2-3 foot viz and near blackout conditions so I have that type of diving covered (or I try ..LOL) but I only have a handful of dives with strong currents and it strikes me as a whole beast onto itself. I did a drift dive in Mexico years ago so I can appreciate the power of a current as there was simply no going against it and it seems like this is a dangerous dive site if one is not prepared. If I do this trip I am going to hire a local DM to take me.

This is why I don’t guide divers anymore...too many of them are like the assclowns in this video...dangerous to themselves and others.

The reason I came across this is I was looking for information on diving this area. I never have and I appreciate you guys sharing insights. I dive quarries most of the time in 2-3 foot viz and near blackout conditions so I have that type of diving covered (or I try ..LOL) but I only have a handful of dives with strong currents and it strikes me as a whole beast onto itself. I did a drift dive in Mexico years ago so I can appreciate the power of a current as there was simply no going against it and it seems like this is a dangerous dive site if one is not prepared. If I do this trip I am going to hire a local DM to take me.

I would be glad to take you diving.

Looked like a total CF to me.
Even if somebody has no experience at this site, you at least need to know how to dive and know what you’re doing. The whole video and the guys/groups lack of anything resembling competent diving was very concerning to me.
Is this the current state of recreational diving these days? Is this considered acceptable by todays standards? I’m surprised the individual actually posted that vid on social media. If that was me I would have burned it!

Eric I can tell you based on what I have been seeing at the local quarries that there are a lot of people in the water that dont belong there and I have also seen some instructors whom in my opinion are grossly negligent. Perhaps harsh on my part as I am not an instructor and I am sure its darn hard to keep track of 10 people in a class. Honestly I probably could not do it nor would i ever want to try. I can take care of myself and I dive with a handful of people only whom I trust. Over the last two weeks I came across one diver that had one of his fins on backwards at the entry point floating dock. I am not joking. I dont know how he did it but he did. He asked me for help as I was ending my dive and I said sure. When I asked him what the issue was he told me that one of his fins was on backwards. I thought he was ...ing with me. I looked under water and he had stuck his boot in the wrong way as his fins had a larger that normal opening where the toes go and he had somehow succeeded in shoving his boot in there. Today I came across two students who had been abandoned by their instructor. They did not have enough weight and could not get down. The class had simply moved on without them. At first I thought they were certified newbie dives just working out their buoyancy. One of the support guys from this outfit walked over to the pier and asked me to help them. Hehanded me 4 lbs and I got them weighted so they could go down. The guy on the surface told them something along these lines...mind you they were on their checkout dives " head that way as your classmates are somewhere in that direction. If you feel you are not getting air just come to the surface". I **** you not. This was after he and I had both witnessed one inflating her BCD instead of deflating it to go down and the area where they were diving has a drop off to 120 feet with zero viz, and I mean zero viz starting at 70. My dive buddy and I have tried to punch through this 70 foot layer of suspended crap (allegedly 10 feet deep) and turned back 4 times over the last 3 weeks as even with 500-1000 lumen helmet mounted lights we can barely see each other 6 inches away. I was so troubled by this that I went down to 10 feet with them. They seemed ok. I pointed them in the direction of the shallows (max depth 20 feet) and away from the wall that drops off into the dark abyss , and in the direction of their classmates. I came back up and followed their bubbles heading in the right direction. They ended up meeting their class and I guess got their cert. Lately I have seen some insane things weekend in and weekend out. Here is what one encounters at 70 feet. Photo taken by my dive buddy today, That is my helmet light. I was 1-2 feet away from him as we had gotten separated and lost touch contact while trying to push through the zero viz layer. We reconnected, dropped another 3 feet and decided to abort. This was looming below these 2 divers and they had no idea.

Attachments

• darkness.PNG
    darkness.PNG
    110 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom