This is why we say stay off of the scooters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Or some of us do anyway, scooters, motorbikes, or anything else very different from what you drive week to week at home...

From http://translate.google.com/transla...ta-americana-mientras-buceaba-chankanaab.htmlhttp://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sipse.com%2Fnoticias%2F132356-pierde-vida-turista-americana-mientras-buceaba-chankanaab.html

"...the helmet provided by the JM rentadora was of poor quality.
"
Tourist dies on impact with his bike on a sidewalk

COZUMEL, Q. Roo .- It is the second visitor who dies within 30 days with a car rental motor vehicle.

Gustavo Villegas / SIPSE

COZUMEL, Q. Roo .- Deborah Lee Emery came to the island of Cozumel as part of their itinerary of a cruise vacation in the Mexican Caribbean.

Around 10:30 am the visitor drifting ceased to exist after the motorcycle he was driving and crashing his head against the sidewalk. His death was instantaneous: the helmet provided by the JM rentadora was of poor quality.

In less than 30 days have been two fatal traffic accidents result in the hotel zone north of the city. In both cases the deaths were due to fracture brain injury.

Last edited:
I was in Cozumel in 2003 when I witnessed an American tourist die on a scooter. Actually we were in a taxi and we were forced to stop. Laying in the street was a middle aged American tourist with blood all over a sheet. His hand was sticking out of the sheet and it's a scene I will never forget. Needless to say, it cured my notion to ride any more scooters there.

FYI: I had ridden street bikes here in the states for years, so I was no newbie. Riding a scooter in Cozumel is not like it is back home. If you value your life then I would stay off the scooters in Coz. Gosh... though, Don: I just feel like all we talk about on Cozumel threads is death or the potential for death. Man, Cozumel is so much fun and people dying there are the exception. If you exercise some common sense you will come back unscathed... I promise. Heck, I'm living proof. Let's try to have some more positive threads here... this isn't the Coz Obituary forum, is it? :)

Advising people of the scooter danger may prevent needless deaths.

Really,

Dandy Don is right on with this one. First off, the roads suck with pot holes or mini cenotes all over the place. Then most of the scooters suspensions are shot because of the first reason. Finally, I believe that the drivers (especially Taxistas) see scooters as targets. Indeed, I'd venture to say that EVERDAY some skin is lost by scooter renters, if not their lives. It has been this way since 1992 for sure.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Diver

Smoking can't cause instant death or massive bodily injury.....also smoking can't cause the concrete to smash your face or make a car decide to use you as a hood ornament.

Snarky reply = invalidated.

I'll just add that in the past ten years, my dentist (a good friend) was killed on a rented scooter in Mexico, as was the son of another friend, and a third friend was severely injured. My brother had two scooter accidents on Cozumel, one where he slid under a taxi (no one injured) and the other where he lost control on a curve (forever known to us as Jimy's curve, on the old coast road just north of Chankanaab) and ended up in a ditch, which sent him to the emergency room for stitches.

No more rented scooters for me.

Guys, I know Don is right on staying off the scooters... no doubt. I mean, I saw a dead American tourist on a scooter a few years back. I just think this place has gotten a bit morbid. It seems like all we talk about is people dying or the potential for dying. I guess I just want to see some more fun threads on Cozumel. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom